B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

H&R Sport Springs and sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:38 PM
1st Gear
Default H&R Sport Springs and sport suspension

Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed on here a lot but there seems to be conflicting information at times regarding new springs. First off Id like to say thanks for all of the great info I have recently received from members on here as I have been going through some typical a4 renovations. I just completed the control arm kit, all 4 wheel bearings, and back brakes. I took the car to audi after i fininshed all the work to get it alligned. They informed me that my back right spring is cracked at the base. I know that it is common for a4 springs to crack, so know im faced with a decision.

Car specs: 99.5 , 2.8q with sport suspension.

Now, i have been very happy with the sport suspension on the car and am not looking to really upgrade the handleing at all. With that said if im going to replace one spring I will at least need to do the back two as a pair or maybe even all 4 while im at it as preventitive maintenance.

I guess the question here is what aftermarket set of springs (H&R Sport for ex.) will fit the sport shocks without the risk of blowing out the shocks down the road. Since buying two OEM replacment springs will cost about the same as a set of 4 aftermarket springs I would like to buy aftermarkets if there is a brand that are basicly direct OEM replacements or wont damage my shocks.

Im curious If any of you have had the H&R sport springs matched with the stock sport struts for at least a few years without any issues

Old 09-05-2011, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

I have H&R sport springs on my Bilstein Sport shocks. I like them a lot. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with H&R sport springs on their stock sport suspension shocks, but if you're talking about doing preventative maintenance, you may be better off going with a combo of shocks/struts, as you may end up blowing your stock suspension on sport springs. I'd just spend the 650 on a H&R/Bilstein combo from awe-tuning or wherever else you can pick them up from.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by IanWPB
I have H&R sport springs on my Bilstein Sport shocks. I like them a lot. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with H&R sport springs on their stock sport suspension shocks, but if you're talking about doing preventative maintenance, you may be better off going with a combo of shocks/struts, as you may end up blowing your stock suspension on sport springs. I'd just spend the 650 on a H&R/Bilstein combo from awe-tuning or wherever else you can pick them up from.
Couldn't have stated this any better.

(I have the same setup and paid about the sam ($650))