AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Hard to start (sometimes) (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/hard-start-sometimes-155587/)

sa9023 08-24-2010 06:27 PM

Hard to start (sometimes)

I just recently got a 1997 quattro 2.8. Had it for a week and a half, then one day I go to start it and it just cranks and cranks but doesn't start unless I keep giving it gas. It only does this on random occasions, so I'm sort of confused. Maybe needs plugs? I did put 87 octane in it by accident the first day I had it...

I should also add that my fuel mileage dropped off quite a bit which is frustrating me to death!

twoeightquattro 08-24-2010 11:56 PM

does it run rough? if so you should check the timing... my old truck took forever to start until i timed it correctly which fixed that, and also improved MPGs

onepoint8tee 08-25-2010 12:14 AM

Even though you may not have a CEL, have your ecu scanned for faults. Intermitent issues don't always trigger a cel, but can store a fault, or a pending fault. Do you notice that this happens only when the engine is cold and not so much when the engine is warm? Vice versa? As long as ignition parts check out (plugs, coil packs, etc) then I would highly, highly suspect that your engine coolant temp sensor should be replaced. It will cause these exact symptoms if bad.

sa9023 08-25-2010 12:37 AM

Right after it starts it idles rough for a few seconds, then everything is fine.

Also, it only does it on a cold start. But not every single time. It did it maybe 3 times in the last week and a half.

onepoint8tee 08-25-2010 12:44 AM

Could well be a flakey ects or possibly maf, or something else. check for faults before throwing parts at it.

sa9023 08-25-2010 09:41 PM

Well, I plan on getting the car scanned in the next couple days.

But, I noticed today (it did it again) that if I let off the key slightly too soon when trying to start it, that seems to cause it. Or also if i drive a short distance then leave the car parked for more than an hour.

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense

sa9023 08-30-2010 05:58 PM

UPDATE.

I was away this weekend so my car wasn't drove/started for two days. The problem occurred 3 times today. Had it scanned, no codes of any kind. I'm almost positive I have an injector dripping or sticking. Gonna seafoam it today and see what that does.

Dallas09 08-30-2010 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee (Post 1234719)
highly suspect that your engine coolant temp sensor should be replaced. It will cause these exact symptoms if bad.

+1...

01AvantQTM 08-31-2010 01:11 AM

+1, coolant temp sensor. I doubt you have a leaky injector.

You've got the 2.8...you could have 2 leaky injectors and it would still turn over and start up, just angrily. The problem you're describing is a very common issue with our cars =)

sa9023 08-31-2010 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 01AvantQTM (Post 1236754)
+1, coolant temp sensor. I doubt you have a leaky injector.

You've got the 2.8...you could have 2 leaky injectors and it would still turn over and start up, just angrily. The problem you're describing is a very common issue with our cars =)

That's the thing...it does start up, but very very angrily and takes about 10 seconds at least now. Does it every morning and every time I don't drive more than a few miles and let the car sit. It also smells like it floods