B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help with check engine light I have codes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:22 AM
2nd Gear

great place to look for things is on the forums classifieds... like sensors and such. you could even put in a WTB ad for what you need too

Old 12-21-2008, 04:25 AM
1st Gear

Sweet thats a good idea thanks

Old 12-24-2008, 06:12 AM
1st Gear

So I have a cracked exhaust manifold. Dang I was hoping that it would be something easier. Do these crack often? What makes them crack? Is there a certain manifold to get that would be better than another? Has anyone seen a DIY on replacing this? Any parts that I should check or replace while im down there?

Old 12-24-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by activeautosports
So I have a cracked exhaust manifold. Dang I was hoping that it would be something easier. Do these crack often? What makes them crack? Is there a certain manifold to get that would be better than another? Has anyone seen a DIY on replacing this? Any parts that I should check or replace while im down there?
If it were me I would put a aftermarket exhaust system. Since only my double clamp was messed up I'll keep it stock.

Where is the crack on the pipe? How does it look? Vertical horizontal? Large or small? Pics if possible would be cool.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

I am thinking about maybe getting an aftermarket exhaust manifold instead of the stock one. Especially if it will be stronger. If it flows better im sure that would be good too. haha. Heres some pictures to show the crack.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:43 PM
2nd Gear

Those codes say no activity detected for the o2 sensors, it doesnt say its a weird signal or they are rich/lean. Id bet on the 02 sensors or their connections being bad first, i doubht its a small crack in the exhaust causing those codes. You might be able to fix the coolant sensor by cleaning the electrical contacts. If you dont have emissions dont worry about the EVAP ones.

Id clear the codes and see what comes back.

Im not saying the cracked exhaust isnt a problem, i just doubht its causing the o2 codes.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:52 PM
5th Gear

i'd do what dallas said but the temp sensor needs to be changed. plus it's rly cheap from autozone. you def need to change that mani if it's cracked. get a exhaust system while you're at it too. i see the one of the turbo lines are already steelbraided so that's a good sign. talk to mike@dth for the highflow mani. don't worry about the MAF code yet. it may or not be a bad MAF but a bad temp sensor can cause that code

Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

I got an exhaust manifold and am planning on putting it on today along with a new valve cover gasket. I have oil in the bottom of my spark plug holes. That made it so hard to pull out the old plugs. When I unplug the MAF it doesn't run any better and still wants to die as I come to a stop. And no emissions where I live. I havent had a chance to get that temp sensor yet but maybe I can pick it up from the store today.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

Try leaving the key on for a good minute or two once before starting to do a TBA if it wants to die.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:26 AM
1st Gear

Hmm... So whats TBA? lol thanks.

Quick Reply: Help with check engine light I have codes.