B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help! Just purchased, need mods!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

get some new rims! (if u dont like your current ones) and coilovers and thats all you need!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Hit up Emil at KrautoParts.com - Your One Stop Shop For Premium LED & HID Kits - HOME and get the LED packages and HIDs as well (for the fogs). His DVs are excellent too. But before you go nuts, fill us in a little. The 2.7T has a maintenance fetish. If you can do your own work, you'll enjoy the car a lot more. There are a ton of DIYs for modding and repairing the car, so spend some money on some good tools and read, read, read. If you have a laptop, get an OBD2 cable and download Vagcom software so you can do your diagnostics at home. If you're not inclined to wrench, put a grand aside to have on hand for repairs - they will need to be done.

Beyond that, all the suggestions above are valid. Look up the RS4 bumper mod (blackout of the fog grilles) - its a great look for the S4 bumper. RS4 grille, clear corners, painted calipers (or an upgrade to B6 S4, Touareg, or Cayenne brakes), or at least a set of ceramic pads and SS lines, are good ways to go. Gutted downpipes (aka piggy pipes) will speed up your spool, as will a cat-back exhaust. In the DIY area here, and on Audiworld.com and audidiy.com, you'll find lots of things like changing the interior trim, independent fog lights, and so forth. Those are all great places to start and you'll get more and more ideas the more you read and do.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

Sweet thanks to everyone who's given input!!
So I know I am going to get a cat back exhaust, I know a guy who does great work by me (he did my exhaust on my A3)
I am thinking about going with coil overs. Which ones would be best? I will be taking it to the snow in the winter but I don't have the tools to be adjusting heights throught the year.
What would be a good air intake to get. I always see "custom air intake" when ppl talk about their s4s intake

Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 AM
1st Gear

I've also looked at the rs4 body kits and it's looking like that will have to come later.
I sold my A3 for 10k & got the s4 for 6k. But it needs new tires. I want to save 2k so it leaves me with 2k to put in.
Exhaust 400
Tires 600
Powder coating 200
Is there coil overs I can find for 800-1000?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ib1043
Which ones would be best? I will be taking it to the snow in the winter but I don't have the tools to be adjusting heights throught the year.
coilovers come with the wrenches you'll need to adjust.. it'll take a while on you're first time adjusting coilovers but once u get the hang of it you'll be adjusting in no time... and ST coilovers are good but since u have a s4 i think H&R's would be the way to go since your car is higher end and its all worth it to put a lil more money into it

Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FishEye
coilovers come with the wrenches you'll need to adjust.. it'll take a while on you're first time adjusting coilovers but once u get the hang of it you'll be adjusting in no time... and ST coilovers are good but since u have a s4 i think H&R's would be the way to go since your car is higher end and its all worth it to put a lil more money into it
How much should I expect to pay for coil overs like those?
& how much work is it to adjust coil overs?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

not sure on the price, but if you are at all mechanically inclined adjusting coilovers isint so bad, i just use marks i pre cut and paint on each piece and adjust an even amount of turns for each wheel. usually takes about 30 mins and all you need is a jack and jack stands and the supplied wrenches. note, if you are loooking to run all winter with a raised ride hieght you will eat tires as the camber, caster, and toe will all be changed when you move the ride hieght up. it will take an alignment after each ride hieght change if you plan on running it for much more than a few hundred miles.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

Okay so I looked on h&rs website & I am thinking their Cup kit would be a better fit for me. Does anyone know the pros/cons of the cup kit vs coilovers?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 AM
vgo
2nd Gear

Im not sure about tires wearing off due to sitting high. I do know that your tires will wear unevenly on the inside if your ride height is much lower than the stock. The non-sport stock height is pretty damn high so I dont see why Audi would do that to wear out our tires quickly. They dont wear that quick so nothing really to worry about, but do keep in mind.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Administrator

I think he meant that after lowering it on the coils and getting it aligned, raising it will take it out of alignment.

Quick Reply: Help! Just purchased, need mods!