B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How does a bad ABS module affect AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Default How does a bad ABS module affect AWD?

I have a 1998.5 A4 1.8T Quattro Manual

my car doesn not have a traction control light on the dash(thought it may be useful for you to know)

So, I have heard that when our ABS module goes bad, that the power is only delivered to the passenger side wheels and you loose real awd...

I am not sure how accurate my information is, and that is why I am posting this question...

Currently, I am in need of a new ABS module...no big deal...so I don't have ABS...I am not worried about that...what i am concerned about is that X-mas time= skiing...and I want to get to the slopes in thge audi.....

so, yes, the abs/brake lights are both lit up on my dash...I am aware that I do not have abs, but do I have AWD?

thanks in advance!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
5th Gear

i don't know how that can happen if we have closed diffs where the power distribution is constant. abs only manages which wheels slow down more. you shouldn't have trouble without abs in the snow. i always turn my traction control off while driving. it feels much better through the corners. i'd just undo the harness and seal them so that water doesn't get in. you'll get a light but you already know what the problem is haha

Old 12-10-2008, 10:13 PM
4th Gear

not fair!. i want a traction control switch.. would be so much more fun!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 PM

all traction control does in the older cars is toss 60% of the power to the front and 40% to the rear...

but I am still not convinced that the AWD system works exactly the same when the abs/brake lights are on....

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 PM
3rd Gear

Our Quattro is a mechanical system, not electrical. Quattro is not affected by any other system on the car.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 PM

yeah...that's what my brain has told me since day one...but a friend who is pretty knowledgeable told me differently a while back...

I was having trouble believeing him after thinking about it for a while, so I just posted this thread to clear things up...

Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

I've been wondering the same thing. My '99 A6 has had ABS light on for about 6 months (I know I need to have ABS ECU re-built). Vag-com says error at wheel speed sensor, doesn't the AWD use these wheel speed sensors to sense slippage and send power to the appropriate wheel? We have some snow and ice headed our way this weekend so I guess I'll find out.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:50 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mikeeboy82
Vag-com says error at wheel speed sensor, doesn't the AWD use these wheel speed sensors to sense slippage and send power to the appropriate wheel? We have some snow and ice headed our way this weekend so I guess I'll find out.
No. As stated, the B5 Quattro system is a mechanical Torsen diff and is unaffected by electronics. However, ESP will be affected as it uses individual braking to change the power distribution. Obviously, ABS will be affected.

If your B5 does not have a TC or ESP switch, you don't have TC or ESP. It was an option on all B5 models, standard on later B5 S4.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
4th Gear

I've been through two winters with the faultly abs module. The brakes locked up couple times causing just a slight skid (had crappy tires) but with a little countersteer and throttle the quattro system took care of everything.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:21 AM
4th Gear

ABS only works when you apply the brakes. It releases a locking
wheel.
Traction Control applies the brakes to spinning wheels.
ESP applies the ouside front or inside rear brake to control
over or understeer.

Quick Reply: How does a bad ABS module affect AWD?