AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   How to install and aftermarket radio without a wiring harness (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/how-install-aftermarket-radio-without-wiring-harness-147780/)

Nevalite 03-22-2010 02:45 AM

How to install and aftermarket radio without a wiring harness

3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

So I just finished figuring out how to get my aftermarket radio working in my non-bose Symphony. I figured I would make a small write up in case anyone else ever needed the info.

The problem with this audio set up is that the two rear speakers in the car are run off a small amplifier that is attached to the rear driver side speaker. What this means is that the rear speakers cannot simply be attached to a new radio. You need to attach the 2 rear speakers to the pre-amp outputs on your aftermarket radio (RCAs).

Before I start I would like to say that it would have been much easier to simply buy this wiring harness. But, if you are so inclined, you can do it the hard way like me :)

Step 1:
The first step is to remove the stock radio, this is done by putting 4 pins into the 4 slots of the radio and pulling it out. Here is a picture of the 4 holes:
Attachment 39535

As far as what to put in the slots, you can easily make your own tools to remove the radio. I simply took a thin piece of sheet metal and cut out the appropriate shape:
http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/Pr..._din_large.jpg

Once you have the 4 tools just stick them in the 4 holes and pull out the radio.

Step 2:
Once the radio is out all you have to do is connect all the wires. There are 4 plugs in the back of the stock radio, we will need 3 of them. Here is a diagram with all the wires you will need:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...g?t=1269238951

1=Ground
2= 12v Constant
3= Illumination
4= 12v Switched
5= Front left speaker (-)
6= Front left speaker (+)
7= Front right speaker (-)
8= Front right speaker (+)
9= To rear right speaker via amp (2v)
10= To rear left speaker via amp (2v)
11= Remote turn on lead for amp

1-8 is fairly self explanatory, it's the same as any other radio install. Simply solder those wires to the corresponding wires on your new radio. 9-11 is what gave me problems.

Step 3:
To power the rear speakers you need to send a pre-amp current to the little amp and you need to tell the little amp to turn on.

To get it on just connect 11 to your remote turn on from your new radio (usually blue).

Now to send the current to the amp we need to make some RCAs with 9 and 10 and then connect those RCAs to the pre-amp outputs on your new radio.

Buy some RCA plugs at radio shack and make something like this:
Attachment 39536

The middle prong is the positive and the outer shield is the negative.

Red RCA connect wire 9 to the middle prong and connect the outer shield to the ground wire 1.

Black or White RCA connect wire 10 to the middle prong and the outer shield to ground wire 1.

Once the RCAs are made and connected to the back of the radio you can plug everything back in and slide the radio into place.

Step 4:
If you want to listen to radio you will need to buy this adaptor to be able to plug in the stock antenna. I'm sure there is a way around this and if I can find a way to do this without buying an antenna adaptor I will update this.

Step 5:
Now that all the wires are hooked up you simply have to put the radio into place. The problem is that most affordable aftermarket radios are single DIN radios (1 slot) and the whole in our dash is a double DIN (2 slots). The most simple solution is to buy this kit and install the radio in the dash as per their instructions.

If you don't feel like dropping the 30$ you could always make something custom. I am currently working on mine and I will update this once it's done.

Until then my radio is just kind of sitting there:
Attachment 39537

You can use the bottom bendy things from your radio to hold it in place temporarily.

I hope this helped somebody, if you have any questions or comments feel free to reply.

Mr. Phil 03-22-2010 02:58 AM

lol at your cd player calling u stupid for not buying a wiring harness and making it easier haha

Nevalite 03-22-2010 03:02 AM

The only major difference between doing this and buying the harness is that you have to make 4 extra solders to make 2 RCA wires. It's if you ever want to re-install your stock radio that you will kick yourself :P

Mr. Phil 03-22-2010 03:06 AM

i know, i used to install stereos... pita either way lol

joenelson7687 03-22-2010 06:21 AM

pita...

CCA4 03-22-2010 09:12 AM

Pain
In
The
Ass

chocalotstarfish 03-22-2010 09:44 AM

I had a ghetto car ($300 for it Honda) it had no radio... One day at goodwill I found a radio out of some import that you can't buy anything for! I think it was opel or something anyways I pay $5 for it (cd player nice radio) took it home found the schematics online had to straight soider to the radio! then figure out the car set up and sure enough I had a radio for $5 but it was a huge PITA!

Darus Ezekeil 05-09-2010 08:57 PM

Hey, if anyone could help.... I really need help finding out which wires are which.

Like the color of the ground, 12v+ constant, 12v+ switched, and illumination.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks.

:):)

exequiel3k 05-09-2010 10:05 PM

Hey, nice instructions..
Just to be sure & if this requires a new thread; ill make one... :)
Nevalite; You don't have any static sound when ur aftermarket radio is On.. even when there's no music or anything on..
Cuz I got mine's installed by a "Professional" -_-' and he told me that the static sound (which can clearly be heard even when Volume is at 0) was caused due to the boss-amp in the back being re-amped by the after-market Amp..
He told me that the only way to fix it was to remove the back amp.. Do you think he did a poor installation?

Nevalite 05-10-2010 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by exequiel3k (Post 1204652)
Hey, nice instructions..
Just to be sure & if this requires a new thread; ill make one... :)
Nevalite; You don't have any static sound when ur aftermarket radio is On.. even when there's no music or anything on..
Cuz I got mine's installed by a "Professional" -_-' and he told me that the static sound (which can clearly be heard even when Volume is at 0) was caused due to the boss-amp in the back being re-amped by the after-market Amp..
He told me that the only way to fix it was to remove the back amp.. Do you think he did a poor installation?

I dont hear any static noise at 0 volume