B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How to Program 2000 Audi A4 Keyfob

Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM
1st Gear
Default How to Program 2000 Audi A4 Keyfob

Just replaced new battery in fob. How to you program the keyfob in order to make it operational again? It's the wife car and if I don't get this going there will be no play for me tonight... I can guarantee that... Its a 2000 Audi A4.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

This has been covered a lot, a little searching yields:

"You need both of your switchblade keys to re-program them, you can program up to five switchblade keys:

Take the key you do not want to program (if it already works) and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

Close and lock the drivers door with the second key with the window down (you can also do this from the inside of your car).

On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only, the lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked

With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.

Pull the key from the slot and also take out the key out of your ignition and than test the remote functions."

Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
This has been covered a lot, a little searching yields:

"You need both of your switchblade keys to re-program them, you can program up to five switchblade keys:

Take the key you do not want to program (if it already works) and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.

Close and lock the drivers door with the second key with the window down (you can also do this from the inside of your car).

On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only, the lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked

With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.

Pull the key from the slot and also take out the key out of your ignition and than test the remote functions."
you can also put the keyfob in the ignition to on pos but dont start car if you only have 1 keyfob. these methods work because the keyfob's radio ID is already stored in the cars module memory.

press and hold lock on keyfob and lock on door.
release door lock button, then release keyfob button.
repeat process for unlock buttons.
turn car ignition off and pull key.
try keyfob.

if it doesn't work, repeat steps above.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

i didn't have to do any of that as all i did was put the key in the drivers door, turn and held it and then pressed the unlock button.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

I did as everyone suggested. I had great luck. I expect the one button and two button press correspond to the key number and memory number. Makes sense...

Old 04-22-2017, 02:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Key fob test?

Is there anyway to test the fob itself?
Just to make sure it is even working? The fob that came with my 99 A4 looks, well, 18 years old. It's seen some ****.

I replaced the battery and am not having any luck getting it to do anything.

Thanks.

Jeremy