B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

i have a few quetions before i do a few mods to my baby

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 AM
1st Gear
Default i have a few quetions before i do a few mods to my baby

ok guys im finally able to dump some mods into my 00 1.8t baby.

1. Front mount intercooler
2. Diode mod to the map sensor
3. manual boost controller
4. aftermarket fuel pressure regulator

ok guys just a few questions from what i read on the post for the diode mod
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/computer-fuel-systems-27/cheap-power-diode-mbc-boost-gauge-install-63234/
"WARNING: THIS IS TO RAISE THE BOOST TO A SAFE 16-18PSI ON ASTOCK FPR (USE AT OWN RISK)"

with that being said is it possible to go higher then 18psi if i use the aftermarket FPR if so say i wanna put the boost at 20psi what should i turn the FPR up to?

2nd anyone have a guide and or pics of installing the Front mount intercooler? this is my first turboed car so intercoolers are something new to me. ive worked on cars before so im not "dumb" lol but i would like to find some info into what im getting into before i tackle this project when my tax money hits the bank..

thanks for the help guys.. as always its greatly apreciated.

also any word on the next big meet around the maryland area?? id like to meet up with you guys swap stories lol drink some beers lol you know the usual lol maybe come home with some awsome parts :-P

Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM
5th Gear

i don't think a FPR is needed without further mods but it's up to you. just be careful because it could make your car run weird.

here's an intercooler setup pic. the passenger side is pretty much the same.
http://www.max-redline.com/pd/Kit-A4+IC0036-2.jpg

Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 AM
3rd Gear

do u even have a chip or full exhaust? if not a front mount is completly pointless specialy on the stock turbo

Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Andrew149
do u even have a chip or full exhaust? if not a front mount is completly pointless specialy on the stock turbo
I beg to differ. upgraded intercoolers have shown lower temps across the board regardless of mods. A cooler motor is a cooler motor.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Numlock I didn't realize you were local(ish)

For starters, you have to have a MAP-sensor-equipped car to do the diode mod, do you have that? I was under the impression that MAP cars were only 01+. If you DO have a MAP sensor, I wouldn't go any higher than about 16psi without a tune. The K03 is capable of making upwards of 25psi or more, but the stock ECU can't adjust the A/F ratio to compensate for boost that high. (Plus from what I've read, running a K03 with that much boost is way out of it's efficiency range anyway). You could probably get a different FPR or bigger injectors to fool the ECU, but you need VAG-com or lemmiwinks to tune that yourself, which ain't as easy as it sounds. I wouldn't worry about upgrading your FPR until you've got a bigger turbo and a tune to go with it.

I agree with Don about the FMIC. While Andrew is right, it's not required by any means with a K03, lots of guys here run them with otherwise stock setups. Cooler IAT's are never a bad thing.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

CCA4 yea im local im in chesapeake city md.. and yea it has a map sensor its right on top of my stock intercooler. and good to know about the stock turbo i was just curious im really on looking for 16-18psi i was just shooting high to see if it was possible.

and im getting the FMIC due to 2 huge slices in my stock piping on in the tubro inlet pipe and one in the pipe out of the stock IC to the intake man.. and it just seemed smarter to just do the FMIC instead of replacing them bullshit rubber pipes..

and i also plan to do more work to the car.. also with the mods i listed i will be cutting my flex pipe out on my exhaust due to it being broke and putting a pipe in to replace it and i will be cutting the muffler off and making it straight piped fo now ill just use the stock exhaust pipe. here soon ill be changing the whole exhaust system to a 2.5in pipe all the way back to a 3.5in tip out the bumper i seen one in philly with this done and i really liked the look of it.

i will also be saving up to upgrade the turbo prob wont happen till next year but its on the list..

all im really trying to do is put some pep in my babys step lol i raced a STI (newer body style)(rolling start) and he had me by like prob 4 maybe even 5 car lengths i just really wanna close the gap on that a lil..

also i can tune my car with the vag com?? i have the cable but have yet to find a version of that program that will let me do **** other then check the codes.. i couldnt even get it to reset the CEL so some help on that would be great..

CCA4 again i thank you for your help as always. lol acually when i posted this i figured you would of been the first one to jump all over it lol p.s im still jelious of the AVANT!! lol i really wish i would of got one of them instead of the sedan but i am very very happy with her tho. just wish she wasnt maroon lol do you have any idea how hard it is to find rims for her that look good? lol

sorry for rambaling lol

Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
i don't think a FPR is needed without further mods but it's up to you. just be careful because it could make your car run weird.

here's an intercooler setup pic. the passenger side is pretty much the same.
http://www.max-redline.com/pd/Kit-A4+IC0036-2.jpg
is this yours?? what did you use to mount it? mines a bit bigger then the one in the photo same length just alot taller (planning ahead) but im not sure what to use to mount it..

Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by numlock4045
CCA4 yea im local im in chesapeake city md.. and yea it has a map sensor its right on top of my stock intercooler. and good to know about the stock turbo i was just curious im really on looking for 16-18psi i was just shooting high to see if it was possible.
I bought my car with just a chip and I peak at 18psi and hold 15psi.

and i also plan to do more work to the car.. also with the mods i listed i will be cutting my flex pipe out on my exhaust due to it being broke and putting a pipe in to replace it and i will be cutting the muffler off and making it straight piped fo now ill just use the stock exhaust pipe. here soon ill be changing the whole exhaust system to a 2.5in pipe all the way back to a 3.5in tip out the bumper i seen one in philly with this done and i really liked the look of it.
Please don't cut your flex pipe out, it is there for a reason.

all im really trying to do is put some pep in my babys step lol i raced a STI (newer body style)(rolling start) and he had me by like prob 4 maybe even 5 car lengths i just really wanna close the gap on that a lil..
Way out of our cars league, but most of us have similar motives.

also i can tune my car with the vag com?? i have the cable but have yet to find a version of that program that will let me do **** other then check the codes.. i couldnt even get it to reset the CEL so some help on that would be great..
You can't do any "tuning" with vag com.

Do you have an ebay cable or a Ross Tech cable? Do you have it registered?

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 02-02-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
I beg to differ. upgraded intercoolers have shown lower temps across the board regardless of mods. A cooler motor is a cooler motor.
you are so lame.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Administrator

and im getting the FMIC due to 2 huge slices in my stock piping on in the tubro inlet pipe and one in the pipe out of the stock IC to the intake man.. and it just seemed smarter to just do the FMIC instead of replacing them bullshit rubber pipes..
Makes sense to me

Nothing wrong with replacing the exhaust, but as mentioned I wouldn't recommend removing the flex pipe completely. The reason its there in the first place is to allow the pieces of the exhaust before it and after it to wiggle around independent (sort of) of one another. If you take that out and replace it with a solid pipe you'll find yourself cracking welds and breaking clamps in no time. Its also worth mentioning that if you run straight pipe with no muffler(s) its going to be really loud and drone quite a bit at speed. Might be a bit aggressive for a daily driver

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to "tune" anything in the sense that you're thinking of. If you have a fully unlocked copy of VAG-com and a suitable cable you can tweak little things here and there, but they're mostly convenience features. One-touch up/down windows, horn/light functions, door locks, crap like that. The freeware version of VAG will clear codes, but only if you have a decent interface cable (which I don't either lol). I've got a link someplace to a company that sells decent ones, I'll see if i can dig it up

CCA4 again i thank you for your help as always. lol acually when i posted this i figured you would of been the first one to jump all over it lol p.s im still jelious of the AVANT!! lol i really wish i would of got one of them instead of the sedan but i am very very happy with her tho. just wish she wasnt maroon lol do you have any idea how hard it is to find rims for her that look good? lol

sorry for rambaling lol
haha no worries, and thanks for the kind words about the avant, i couldn't be happier with it so far

As for wheels, have you thought about polished? bronze? just throwin out some ideas.