B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

interior light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Default interior light flashing

I have a 2001mod RS4 (B5 facelift) with a annoying problem.

When the door for the passenger side is opened and the ignition is on, the lights start to flash, oscillating by turning on every 3 second, approximately.

I have checked and measured the switch in the door lock. It looked ok and gave a constant electric contact and break as it should.

The overview in the instrument panel showes the door opening and closing as normal.

After the ignition is turned off and the passenger door is opened, the interior light turnes on as normal.

All the other doors is ok.

I checked with my local audi dealer where they tought it could be a diode which had failed somewhere in the system, but didn't know where.

Anybody else that have heared of theese problems before? Anybody with a clue of what it could be, or where to find this diode?

I have the full electric package with window control on the remote and dooroverview on the instrument screen.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 AM

Here is one replay I got:

Check that the passenger side footwell is not full of water. (press HARD on the carpet with your hand!)
They leak from the pollen filter housing, fill up the footwell and as the carpet is so thick you don't know until there's a good 2inches of water in them. The convenience system ECU that controls interior lights and central locks/alarm is under the carpet beneath the passeneger seat! If it's soaked then this is your issue!
It's not uncommon! Taking it out and allowing to dry thouroughly can help as long as the corrosion that builds up on the circuit board is not too bad.

Hope you sort it!
Some other ideas?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Same problem.

I had this issue - water got in through the pollen filter and messed up my tcu (transmission control unit) I didn't see any other unit under the carpet however my dome light is flashing when I open one of the front doors. It does not always do it though. It's a 2001 c5...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

i have an 02 A6... dome light will just come on ramdom could be moving or could be sitting still. How do you blow out the pollen wells?... does the passenger seat need to come out to get to the ECU?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Aud1A6
i have an 02 A6... dome light will just come on ramdom could be moving or could be sitting still. How do you blow out the pollen wells?... does the passenger seat need to come out to get to the ECU?
Not sure what you mean by blowing out the pollen wells. ECU is on the passenger side under the glove compartment. The TCU is in front of the seat but you don't have to take the seat out. Make sure you remove the glove compartment (it has 3 screws) and the plastic trim that holds the carpet (even at door level). Fold the carpet towards the seat (might be a bit hard because it has a lot of foam to properly sit on the frame) and you'll have access to it.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

How much water was in your TCM to cause this? Just curious... was the outer case of the TCM just damp? What it under water? Please describe.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mkleczew
How much water was in your TCM to cause this? Just curious... was the outer case of the TCM just damp? What it under water? Please describe.
The whole thing was submerged. I had to replace it because it corroded...

Attached Thumbnails interior light flashing-img_0103.jpg   interior light flashing-img_0095.jpg   interior light flashing-img_0115-2.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Administrator

I can haz RS4?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

Thanks to this thread, I am diagnosing this very problem with my 02S6. I have the TCM out and it has very minimal corrosion which I have wiped off.

Is it possible to get to the underside of the board? I want to clean the bottom, but looks like it's not removable.

Thanks