B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

just bought an 2001 audi a4 1.8t quattro general inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:27 AM
1st Gear
Default just bought an 2001 audi a4 1.8t quattro general inquiry

Ok so i just bought an 01 audi a4 1.8t quattro. Ive noticed that a lot of queztions come up that have previously been answered but finding exact answers has not been easy so i thought id ask in one thread.

Firstly im in Canada but am not opposed to ordering parts from the US as long as the shipping isnt ridiculous.

The previous owner left me with no paperwork to go on so im not 100% sure whats due or whats previously been used in the car.

1. What oil should i use in this engine? I live in the north where temperatures go as low as -50 celcius in the wind and as high as +35 celcius in the summer. Should i differ my oil depending on the season or use one type all the time?

2. What is the better oil filters? Ive heard its better to go with the bigger one whats the better big oil filters to go with? Part nimber to order?

3. I have the symphony audio system in the car but the cd players no good. I would like to put in an aftermarket double din style cd/dvd player with gps. Is there a goid place to order dash and wiring kits for the car online? No local retailers carry audi audio accessories here. Also a good place to order the double din? Crazy prices up here talkin
like 500-700$ for a head unit. Furthermore is it hard to wire this set up diy style or should i bring it in to a stereo shop for install?

4. Stock headlights/bulbs suck bad. Low light from them and the high beams give me a better view of the tree tops then the road. Im sure they can be adjusted but id like to go with aftermarket halos with good bright bulbs. Any siggestions for a good set of black jalo housings and also what bulbs give the best visibilty that will fit my car? I drive a lot at night for work.

5. How many kms should i go before changing plugs? Theres only 4 so if changing them at a certain regular interval will maintain optimal gas mileage and all around performance im not against doing so.

6. Previous owner said tbelt service was done 10000 km ago after how many kms should i do the tbelt/pump/tensioner service on the car? G12 coolant 50/50 with water right?

7. Also shortly after purchase i got a p0411 code saying something about an issue with my secondary upstream airflow? Im assumming this must have to do with emissions which where i live wont matrer since no etest is required but i would like to solve it so i can get rid of that nasty cel.

Any info is greatly appreciated and even something as simple as a link would be great just trying to learn as much as i can so i can take good care of my new to me car. Any other advice on maintaining this perticular car is also welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by heavymetal2000; 01-27-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 AM

First of all SEARCH, all of this is answered but since this is your first post ill help you....freebie

1 - Depends on personal feel 0-40,5w-40,5w30 Mobil 1, Liqui Moly, ect...
google VW oil specifications theres a huge huge huge list

2 - Bigger filter because of sludge

3 - EBay or amazon for the install kit (wires and mount)
same place for the radio - personal preference

4 - presonaly halos belong on bimmers --- check out depo e codes
brightness - DDM slim kit from KrautoAutoparts !!!!!

5 - Turbo cars liek copper plugs which dont last as long
they cost 7 bucks for all 4 do them as often as you want or feel necessary

6 - every 70k is timing belt tim(sorry dont know the compelte metric conversion system)
G12 mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water

7 - P0411 - check all the vaccum lines, theres a good bit of them but it should take less than an hour to replace them all with SILICONE - the old ones are the braided style cloth lines they fail and fall apart

Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Administrator

To add to #6, every 60k miles so call it roughly 100k km. however, you have no documentation that it was done. You only have the owner's word. Not good enough - if it can't be proven that it was done, do it. The alternative is to trust the word of someone who wanted your money and may have been willing to tell you whatever it took to get it. If that turns out to be BS, you're looking at a wrecked valve train and nicked pistons when the tensioner fails.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Very much to the both of you. Tbelt service has not been "proven" so i'll definitely order a kit and try to do it on my set off. Thanks for the info on the Oil I'll just need to find a place that has a filter that "fits" my car. Any chance someone has some filter numbers for the bigger style filter in a couple different brands? This way i know im ordering the right part#.

For the Vacuum lines are they mainly all the same size? it seems to be the case but i may be wrong. Anyone know off hand to size? Ideally i could just order a large length of silicone line to replace it all with.

Thats good to know with the plugs if there that inexpensive doing them every couple of oil changes won't hurt the wallet either.

Thanks for the info on the headlights going to check it out asap. Also will try to search a diy for the symphony stereo aftermarket install i guess. Not sure how hard thats gonna be to do myself.

thanks again.