B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Just got chipped and added boost gauge :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:51 AM
arb
1st Gear
Default Just got chipped and added boost gauge :)

Hey guys,
So i just finally recieved my ecu back from apr yesterday and i must say definetly a great upgrade from stock however I do have some questions. First i installed a center vent boost gauge that only reads boost and not vacuum unfortunetly but my question is when i accelerate i usually get to about 10-12psi, but sometimes i get like 7psi and I had one time yesterday when it got to 15psi. what i find strange though is that when i am just crusing the boost is at zero from reading the gauge is this right? or is it suppose to sit at like at a certain psi?

thanks,

Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 AM
3rd Gear

If you're not accelerating then you should be at 0psi. If you had a -hg reading then you would be reading below 0 on your gauge while cruising. The boost #s sound a little low but they can vary depending on how much throttle you're applying. if you go wide open you'll see the gauge spike and then it will fall and hold for a sec then at a little before 5k rpm it begins to drop dramatically. I would double check your vac lines and make sure none are cracked or disconnected.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
arb
1st Gear

alright well i know the new boost line is completely fine, we even put a rubber hose over the boost line as added protection but i will check the factory line maybe i will just add some more rubber hose over that too for added protection. You think my 710N diverter valve will be good or should i look at upgrading to APR R1? I am gettin my carbonio intake next week so i hope that will help

Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 AM
3rd Gear

Intake won't change anything. Just looks cool. Your #'s seem a little low but nothing to worry bout I don't think. I blew my 710n in a week so I suggest get the Forge or the R1.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Site Moderator

If you are DBW, your ecu needs time to adapt the to the chip. Give it a week or two and see what happens. You should be seeing at least 15 psi at full boost and then it will taper off towards redline. Don't waste your money on a carbonio intake. Boost depends on throttle angle, so it is always changing.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 AM
arb
1st Gear

intake is already ordered lol so i guess with that i should just expect nice sound and cooler inlet temps but no real performance gains. I do believe i am the DBW because the chip was sawdered (sorry cant spell) so i will keep that in mind. I am impressed though with the difference the chip makes though. You guys dont think i have to worry about my turbo because i do have 130,000 km and just put the chip in, mind you i change oil every 4000k with full 5w40 synthetic next oil change in about 500 km i am doing an engine flush, coolant flush and intake clean.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Site Moderator

Your inlet temps won't be any cooler than with the stock box. You might get a few hp but mainly towards redline. If the chip was soldered then you are DBC. Chips are proven to be safe and reliable for the most part. You arent going to blow your rings out any time soon.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
arb
1st Gear

ok sounds good man, sorry I just like to get as much info as i can cuz I love my car and dont want anything surprising to happen when it can be prevented. I plan on keepin the car for quite a while

Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Site Moderator

Did you upgrade your DV? If not do it NOW. If you are using the stock valve, that could explain less than normal boost.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 PM
arb
1st Gear

i just have the 710N off the TT right now

Quick Reply: Just got chipped and added boost gauge :)