B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Little irritated at the germans!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Default Little irritated at the germans!

So I just spent the morning tearing off my subframe to get to my oil pan. Only to find out that the snub mount needs to come off. Where the oil pan connects to the tranny there is a bunch of bolts right, well one is a nut which means the oil pan needs to slide forward when it comes off. And guess why it cant slide forward?? The snub mount!! And of course it looks like I have to remove the bumper and all to get onto the block to remove the snub mount. Guess why I cant remove the front.... I already have the engine on a hoist!! I have to put the whole subframe backtogether so I can have my engine on its mounts again, unhoist it and remove the front, rehoist and remove the subframe! Really?? The germans cant just do **** simple??

Pics on second page...

Last edited by carbonOX; 12-08-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear

/rant

Old 12-07-2009, 06:45 PM

I think I might actually try something before I put to much time into this little project. Drill the hole that got knocked in the oil pan and thread it. Plug it with a freakin bolt.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator

I'd be worried about that, the oil pan is only a few mm's thick and that bolt is only gonna stick out further, just asking to get punched through the pan and then you're right back where you are now. Replace the oil pan and get a panzer plate and be done with it

Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by CCA4
I'd be worried about that, the oil pan is only a few mm's thick and that bolt is only gonna stick out further, just asking to get punched through the pan and then you're right back where you are now. Replace the oil pan and get a panzer plate and be done with it
Good point I didnt even think about that. I was just trying to think of a quick fix. Its alot of work to get a oil pan off an audi, and a couple of torque screws were corroded from road salt. I am just fed up with trying to get the oil pan off, and I am tired of being without a car. Tomorrow I will be picking up the officers report so I can submit my claim to the city for the damage done to my car. The dealership quoted me $7600 to fix it. Freakin crazy right!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 PM
3rd Gear

And I thought I was the only one stupid **** happened to when I try to work on my A4. I have learned that even the simple jobs take a hard days work sometimes. Unfortunately it's times like these that help educate the masses.

That being said, I hope I don't have to ever do an oil pan job. I would have told the dealership to find me a $7600 A4 and left with that.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
And I thought I was the only one stupid **** happened to when I try to work on my A4. I have learned that even the simple jobs take a hard days work sometimes. Unfortunately it's times like these that help educate the masses.

That being said, I hope I don't have to ever do an oil pan job. I would have told the dealership to find me a $7600 A4 and left with that.
Funny story about that 7600 is my car books less than that, the citys insurance might just want to total it. It is far from totaled, just costs money to fix.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 PM
4th Gear

That is the definition of totaled, when the repairs cost more than the car is worth...

Of course, fixing it yourself and pocketing the change on the side is always nice... more money for mods!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
That is the definition of totaled, when the repairs cost more than the car is worth...

Of course, fixing it yourself and pocketing the change on the side is always nice... more money for mods!
My thoughts exactly the 7600 was the dealer quote. I will get a quote from a different shop for just under book. I have a few different quotes already. Of course the dealership being outragous.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 PM
4th Gear

should have bought the 2.8, all i had to to change my pan was loosen the front sway bar. you silly 1.8ters

Quick Reply: Little irritated at the germans!