AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Loud humming noise (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/loud-humming-noise-222939/)

Russ Pederson 10-20-2016 02:18 PM

Loud humming noise

Ok for a couple weeks now ive had a loud humming noise coming from the rear drivers side of the car. The noise is there when im driving straight and gets louder when im turning left but goes away when im turning right. The noise also gets louder the faster i go...any ideas?

elduderino200 10-20-2016 02:36 PM

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Not super cheap to pay someone to fix but if you've got a friend with (or can borrow) a set of tools like this you can do it yourself (that's the exact kit I bought and used to do my fronts). The independent place I called estimated $1,000 to fix both my fronts.

A4TurboGuy 10-21-2016 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by elduderino200 (Post 1507858)
Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Not super cheap to pay someone to fix but if you've got a friend with (or can borrow) a set of tools like this you can do it yourself (that's the exact kit I bought and used to do my fronts). The independent place I called estimated $1,000 to fix both my fronts.

+1..............

Russ Pederson 10-27-2016 11:23 PM

From what i read so far i agree its probably a wheel bearing. Mine is one of the rear bearings going out. When i turn left the sound gets really loud and when i turn right the sound goes away...based on that would u say its the right bearing or the left bearing thats having the problem.

elduderino200 10-28-2016 03:53 PM

I'm not sure just turning will give you a great idea of which bearing it is. My guess is that one side of the bearing is going out, so estimating which bearing by which turn makes it louder will only give you an idea of the bad side of the bearing, not which bearing... if that makes sense.

Have somebody sit in the rear seat and listen closely to which side is making the humming noise. That would be my best way of doing it.

hartsoe1 10-28-2016 05:46 PM

It will get louder and there will then be no question which side it is on. You may want to wait on it getting worse. bad wheel bearings do heat up and possibly seize the ABS sensor into the wheel bearing housing, but that's not too bad because you can disconnect the sensor wiring harness in the wheel well and not worry about removing the sensor from the housing (i recommend never removing them since you may not get them back in to the correct depth). Remove the wheel bearing housing, with hub still in old bearing, and take it to the local shop, with sensor still in, with your new wheel bearing and pay them $20 to press it out and in. and press the hub in and out of the bearing. note to mark your suspension adjustments before removing so you get the alignment back pretty closely. You need a bearing kit which includes the stretch bolt. check your CV boots on the side you are doing just in case you get in there and find that needs to be done, too.

Russ Pederson 11-01-2016 03:29 PM

Ok thanks...will do.

nlinesk8s 11-03-2016 11:52 AM

IIRC, those tools will help you remove the bearing, but to install on a B5, you need a press. I went through this recently with my 2000. On a B6 the tools work fine.

elduderino200 11-03-2016 01:35 PM

I was able to use the same tools to 'tighten' (press) the new bearing back in.

nlinesk8s 11-04-2016 03:56 PM

Did your tools allow you to press the hub back into the bearing, or did you use other tools for that?