B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Lower control arm broke...how much labor will it be to fix it? Pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Lower control arm broke...how much labor will it be to fix it? Pics included.

Picked up this car a few months back and driving it the otherday it felt like I lost a wheel while I was driving. After looking at it today it looks like the lower control arm broke. Just wondering how big of a job it will be to fix this? What needs to be removed to get this piece out? What would a shop charge for this (average hours of labor)? Thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Lower control arm broke...how much labor will it be to fix it? Pics included.

diy

Old 03-09-2008, 01:34 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Lower control arm broke...how much labor will it be to fix it? Pics included.

Yeah dude just buy the control arm kit from ECS and do it yourself.

Looks like you could use new brakes as well - you should get in on the A8/TT BBK Group buy.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

brakes are actually newer, it just rained a ton and the car has been sitting for about a week. I thought I saw a DIY where it was like 8 hours of labor or something crazy because you have to remove everything. Was I looking at the right thing. I bought the car for 1800 so I didn't want to put a ton of work/labor into it if it wasn't worth it.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:37 PM
4th Gear

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel43.shtml

In any case, if you do it yourself you'll save a lot of money over having a shop do it. And since it obviously NEEDS to be done, that's the way to go. ECS - control arm kit is about a third of the way down, $529.95: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ory=Suspension

And if those are 'newer' brakes, then I'm Robert the Bruce.

You only spent $1800 on the car, that should tip you off right there that it probably needs some maintenance work. Of course it's worth it - if you do the work yourself.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

Right, I am sure just the brake pads were done. I have done suspenion before on my old car. I did coilovers on my Jetta and did a full lift on my jeep so I am sure I can do the work myself...it is just finding time.

I am really trying to just save money as this is just a winter beater so could I just throw the new control arm in there and call it a day? What needs to be removed to get the new control arm in there? If I just do that part do I have to take the whole upper part apart to get that in there?

Thanks for the help guys...

Here is a pic of my old car...miss it sometimes.
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...002shopped.jpg

Old 03-09-2008, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

Where are you located? I think I have a lower front driver's side control arm lying around in the garage- it's used but probably ok for a $1800winter beater...

Old 03-09-2008, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Located in CT but I would probably just put a new one in there if I go through the work to do it.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:22 PM

How many miles do you have and when were your other control arms changed? If they're breaking like this it may be a safety issue and you'll want to change them all.

If you want to get it driving again just buy a new lower control arm. There are 4 bolts to take off, it should take maybe an hour or two if it's your first time on an A4. I think a lower control arm is like $90 or something like that.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

For now I think I will just do the LCA. I was looking at the other side and it looked like I couldn't get the end in toward the brakes without removing the rotor and a bunch of other stuff. Not sure if it could make the swing or not to fit in there with all that stuff on there. Do you know if it will fit in there without removing all that stuff. Thanks

Quick Reply: Lower control arm broke...how much labor will it be to fix it? Pics included.