B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

MAF Sensor Replacement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
1st Gear
Default MAF Sensor Replacement Issues

I drive a 1999 Audi A4 1.8T FWD. It's had its share of problems.

My car's MAF sensor has slowly died over the past few months. Car went from running rich to drowning - wouldn't really run at all. I went online and ordered a new MAF sensor and then found some guides on how to clean the existing MAF sensor.

I cleaned the old sensor with rubbing alcohol, let it dry, and re-installed it. Car worked wonderfully. Had someone reset the fault so I could drive it for 50 miles and re-test for emissions. Well, about 3 miles later the check engine light tripped. I decided to just intall the new sensor.

Before removing the bottom part of the heat shield I poured water over it to cool it off (stupid, I'm pretty sure, we'll get to that). The new sensor's chip wasn't solid like the old one - it has two wires with these beads on them going through a hole in the chip. It's a third party OE part matched to the part number. Re-install the part, start the egine and the engine cuts off in about two seconds. Ouch.

I take the part back out and discover some water. Like maybe five drops. I think some might have gotten past the sensor and into the air intake. I re-install the OLD sensor and start the car. The old sensor is back to its old self - drowning the car in gas.

What do I do?

Issues:
1. Small amount of water in air intake PAST air filter. Is this a major concern? How can it be fixed?
2. Is the new MAF Sensor the right kind? 1999s are split - one sensor for 5/99 and before, another for 8/99 and after. I'm pre-5/99.
3. Should I try replacing the air filter too?

Thanks for reading this really long post and thanks for your advice. Anything is appreciated.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Legal Moderator

a little water in your intake isnt that huge of a deal. as long as its a couple drops i wouldnt worry about it. yes, you could have the wrong sensor. i wouldnt even mess with aftermarket at all. what i did is get a used one from local used parts dealer. as for the air filter its your choice. you could just blow it out w/ compressed air