AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Maybe a bad idea but considering an AEM FIC 6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/maybe-bad-idea-but-considering-aem-fic-6-a-190383/)

zandrew 12-15-2012 11:55 PM

Maybe a bad idea but considering an AEM FIC 6

So I am getting ready to do a k04 upgrade that should make some respectable hp. By my calculations aleast 270 awhp and maybe even more with e85. My car currently has the k04 upgrade with pc16 giac and 310cc injectors. My new turbo should spool fairly similar but pull better up to redline. I am upgrading to 525cc injectors and a 3" test pipe. I already have intercooler upgrade and piping, carbonio intake, Ghl 2.5" exhaust, 007 dv, and upgraded to fsi coils with I'm delete. I also have mtx-l wideband and awe boost gauge.

I considered the maestro but was directed against it and then considered megasquirt but don't want to lose ac or my coilpacks. With aem fic I can change the fuel injector size and keep stock ecu, ac, and my coilpacks without going to far into a hole. It's either that or finding someone that can tune what I have.

The fic has been done on the aeb 1.8 and it seems ok. I'm sure it will not be my best option but for what I'm trying to achieve it seems to fit just fine. I'm trying to achieve a setup that can be reproduced for less then $ 1500 that produces hp that will show up a wrx.

redline380 12-16-2012 05:09 AM

try to keep your info contained to one thread. but from what i gather about your situation i think your getting too far into it. it isnt difficult to get 270 awhp from a 1.8t (and you know how i feel about the k04 as far as that goal goes) a simple off the shelf tune would be fine for your goals of 270 awhp (youll need bigger than k04, sorry). regardless, if you are committed to the fic system, id do research and make sure it is compatible with audi's ecu. sometimes, you will have to sacrifice things like a/c to make your car faster. if thats what it takes then thats what it takes. ill stand with my recommendation of going megasquirt. if you know the system than use it.you may not get to use a/c or your coil packs, but in the end it will be worth it. if you NEED a/c and your stock coilpacks in place, your going about getting 270 awhp the wrong way

zandrew 12-16-2012 08:15 AM

You know what drives me crazy about car forums? To many people make off hand suggestions with zero basis. Your are saying a k04 will not make 270awhp why? Because has not been done? There has been alot of things done every day that have never been done before. For a good example none of the world's tallest 100 mountains were sumitted more then 100 years ago. Hell there are several that have never been sumitted. So I'm guessing by your assertion it can't be done?

The Franken turbo is already proven to 260 awhp. The dyno is on the site. The Franken is 41mm by 60mm. Both of the turbo I have use BIGGER compressors. One is 42mm by 60mm and the other is 46.4mm by 60mm. That is like going from a gt2259 to gt2860. Actually this compressor is larger then some of the gt2860 compressors. If you know anything about turbos you know 5.4mm increase in inducer is massive change. Look at the old t3 45 trim amd compare it too the t3 60 trim for a good comparison.

Now I want to keep my ac and the fsi coils. I'm not letting them go. So I have to find away to use them both. Megasquirt is an ok setup but something tells me you have not used it as it is a very crude and unrefined setup. I was going to use maestro but you suggested against it and now you suggest a bt tune? You are losing rep fast. Why use a bt tune for a turbo thats not going to make 270 awhp? Besides this turbo is not going to react like a bt and a 1 size fits all tune is not ideal though they work. However a bt tune suffers from the same pitfalls as maestro. It used narrowband o2 setup instead of wideband.

My question is if there is any known problems with using aem fic or any other piggy backs. That's it. There will be plenty of time to knock (or get knocked down) my setup later.

jonbonesjones 12-16-2012 08:28 AM

WHy wouldn't You use Maestro? Its perfect, if you have ever been in contact with subaru, think fo this as a cobb tuner for subi. Its open, you can load any base map, any map for that matter, that has been written for the ECU. It can tune a ko4 and it can tune a borg efr. Megasquirt is going to make you rewire your car, its pretty fundamental in tuning, but it has the capabilities of doing what you want. Aslong as your planning to keep yoru stock engine you dont need a stand alone or piggy back, go with Maestro.

The 1.8t with a k04 and base tune from giac or arp will blow a wrx up.

Think of the drive train loss of Quattro, its pretty hefty ~25% once all said and done. That means to push 270 to the wheels, your asking the k04 to deliver about 370hp. From a turbo not much bigger than the k03, which makes 180 hp stock. The numbers dont add up, on E85 it can possible id imagine due to a significant power increase from the e85, but your going to need a lot more than just a k04 and base file to make that much power.

CCA4 12-16-2012 09:13 AM

Yeah I'm curious to hear who directed you against Maestro and why. Seems like the ideal solution for what you're doing.

zandrew 12-16-2012 11:54 AM

Redline, why do you think I posted he is losing rep? He said maestro is no good without awm ecu conversion due to lack of stock wideband.

I think the aem fic is a more viable option then considered. You can remap the 02 sensor, remap maf sensor, change injector size, and add and subtract fuel while directly controlling the injectors, also add injectors, and a bunch of other stuff. Since I have the giac tune and theoretically all I"should" need is more fuel on the top end and maybe a lil timing pulled it should be golden.

I understand the k04 is small but the one I'm using is significantly larger then a K03. Seriously massive in comparison to a K04 015. It out flows the Franken by 8lb min which 30% more. The Franken has 2 dyno's on there site. One that has 240 and another with 260awhp. The Pontiac solstice uses a turbo from the same family as the ms3 but uses a smaller 44mm inducer and they make as much as 330 rwhp. Their drivetrain loss is 17% and the numbers I have seen are 21%-22% for the Quattro. As long as I get the tune close I will hit 270 without an issue.

This is merely a setup I plan on running while I build another block to handle extreme hp. Till then I want to max the stock block out safely.

jonbonesjones 12-16-2012 12:17 PM

Wide band is good for tuning, yet not necessary, it's not a determining factor of weather or not you should get a Maestro. The AEM is $500? Why not buy the thing intended for the car with unlimited possibilities, outside of fuel/ignition control. Maestro and do all the stuff you mentioned the AEM will do plus a ton more, including scanning your car, deleting the sai emissions and rear 02. Plenty of reasons Maestro will be a better option in the long run, especially with all the plans you have.

zandrew 12-16-2012 01:25 PM

I have the wideband. I know their value and would not try tuning without one.

I can get the aem fic for less then $ 300.

CCA4 12-16-2012 01:31 PM

Ah I remember that from your other thread(s). No AWM for Maestro. Fair enough. Also why keeping all your info in one thread is helpful.

zandrew 12-16-2012 06:00 PM

Yeah and it keeps me from having to type everything in on my galaxy s iii too but this is a separate topic. I'm confused, go maestro or don't go? I agree having the dual wideband is nice but if I am using one I don't see an issue that would prevent from getting a solid tune. I also don't understand why maestro is a bad idea but a one size fits all tune is ok.

I still think the aem fic is a decent option for anyone that is not looking to make insane hp but wants to get a clean tune out of what they have.