B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My audi won't turn over..any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:43 PM
1st Gear
Default My audi won't turn over..any tips?

Last night while I was driving I had just got on the freeway and my car wouldn't accelerate anymore. I didn't hear anything break or snap before this happened (I had a head gasket blow on me 5 years ago in a different car, it was pretty noticeable). The battery light went off when I couldn't accelerate but there was no issue with the battery as everything else electrical was working and I had just replaced the battery 3 months ago.

I checked under the hood, I don't see any leaks or broken belts. When I try starting the car I can hear the starter but the engine doesn't make any noise like it's trying to turn over.

Any ideas what this could be? Timing belt perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-21-2011, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

Starter relay?

Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

I don't think so. I don't have a tester to check the codes but I went back down and looked at the dash. The lights come on when I turn the key but after i try to start it the check engine and epc light go off but the battery light stays on.

The fan, radio, windows, and lights all seem to work though.

I suppose I should test out the battery and see. Just seems strange that it would happen so soon after I replaced it.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear

Does the tsrter just click and be done? or does it actualy turn over and just not turn the engine?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

The starter turns over but not the engine. It's like there is no connection.

I had the battery tested and it was still fine. I spoke with a few people about it and they seem to think it's the alternator, but if it was the alternator wouldn't the battery be dead?

The battery light is on after I turn on the car but as I said everything else electrical seems to be working..

Any other possibilities you can think of?

Old 05-22-2011, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like the bendix is not coming out and making contact with the flywheel. get your starter checked

Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Still dealing with this issue. When I opened up the ECU box I noticed that the ECM relay was hot for no apparent reason.

When I put the key in the ignition and turn the car on..before I even start it..I hear an electric current coming from underneath the coolant tank. When I remove the ECM relay the sound goes away. I replaced the ECM (Number 30, 165 906 381) relay and still get the same noise whenever it's plugged in.

I'm pretty certain it's something electrical as I hear the electric current before I even attempt to turn the car on but I have no idea what it could be.

Any ideas?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Also note my check engine light is not on but the battery light is on and has been on from the moment it broke down on me.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

DO YOU HAVE GAS IN IT?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

I also checked the fuses.

Fuse # 28 is an engine timing fuse. If I remove that fuse and turn the ignition on the noise underneath the coolant tank doesn't come on. I do hear a brief electric connection problem. I tried replacing that fuse with another 20 amp fuse but the electric current comes on again and the car doesn't start.

I'm pretty sure it's an electric issue but what exactly it is I don't know.

The battery light is on but the check engine light is off. Why would the battery light be on if the battery and alternator are still working?

Anyone had anything similar happen to them?

Quick Reply: My audi won't turn over..any tips?