B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

not the valve cover gasket..

Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 PM
1st Gear
Default not the valve cover gasket..

I changed the driver's side valve cover gasket (for the second time) and the oil leak is worse now. The first time I used RTV the second I did not. It is sealed all the way around the valve cover. I do not know where this oil is coming from but I know where it is hitting the exhaust. It drips right where the exhaust manifold connects to the down pipe...right on the junction. I then crawled under the car and I for the life of me can not find where this is coming from. I need some help...

Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

Cam chain tensioner gasket or cam seal would be my guess

Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sa9023
Cam chain tensioner gasket or cam seal would be my guess
Would that be in the back of the engine? I thought that if it was a cam chain tensioner gasket it would leak down the front. It looks like it is coming from the #6 cyl. exhaust is...maybe even a little further back.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear

Check this video out, should help. http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_v...sket_kit.shtml

There are also a number of good DIY threads here and on Audi World. Google will get you there.

I've got this on my "to-do" list as well.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

yeah that is probably the issue...thanks. Man I wish I had the time to fix her myself...as it is I will have to seal her up the best I can and look to trade her on something else. SUCKS ...it is a great car in good condition. I am guessing that if I were to have it done it would be upwards of $1000, cause not doing the TB and pump in that procedure would be silly. $1000 + this car would get me something better considering what I paid for her.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear

From the research I've done, it looks like the Cam Chain Tensioner Gasket Set can be changed without removing the front end of the car. I know that I've seen the DIY on this somewhere. All you need is to rent the special tool to take the tension off the cam chain while you replace the gaskets. Shouldn't be all that difficult...or costly. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Seal/ES258758/

Compared to the crankcase breather system replacement I did a couple of weeks ago, this should be nowhere near as high on the PITA scale.

Last edited by jdahlen24; 01-24-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear

Right but don't buy it from ECS... too expensive. Look on Ebay. I've got one up on Ebay, actually. So do other people... for much cheaper than ECS.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Right but don't buy it from ECS... too expensive. Look on Ebay. I've got one up on Ebay, actually. So do other people... for much cheaper than ECS.
"It" being the cam chain tensioner tool? If you can throw a link to me, I might buy it from you, cause this is next on my "to do" list.

I hope you're not referring to the gaskets, because $5.95 per side sounded reasonable to me.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

If the pcv breather system gets all crapped up pressure will build up and push oil out the cam seal onto the exhaust mine is doing the same thing and I also just changed the valve cover gaskets so I'm thinking u need to clean or replace the breather hoses

Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Devildub
If the pcv breather system gets all crapped up pressure will build up and push oil out the cam seal onto the exhaust mine is doing the same thing and I also just changed the valve cover gaskets so I'm thinking u need to clean or replace the breather hoses
Do the rest of you guys think this might do it? Where do these breather hoses lead? are they going to the crank case? or is it a true vac. line leading to the intake manifold?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: not the valve cover gasket..