B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Now here's a B5 project I wish I could spearhead

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default Now here's a B5 project I wish I could spearhead

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=212459

I would LOVE to have a TDI motor in my B5... That would be so kick ***. Stupid uninformed Americans thinking diesel is a nasty, loud, dirty fuel... If people would open their eyes to the wonders of TDI, we would start importing more TDI engines and a conversion would be unnecessary; I could just go buy one already made with it

None the less though, I think it'd be fun to do a conversion like this. Maybe I'll hook up with Siena when I start making masses of money (like that'll happen any time soon...) and have him help me do the swap in my current B5. That'd be fun.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

What does siena have to do with it? I always wished I could have a tdi a4 too

Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

i think its because siena is considered "the man" when it comes to big projects like these

Old 09-26-2009, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear

What vgo said. Siena has a vast knowledge of putting all this stuff together and doing massive conversions, a knowledge and or gift even that would take me years to attain. My course of schooling is in physics, not car mechanics (though I'm entertaining the idea of going into mechanical engineering for my masters program after getting my B.S. in physics and using that to work on some ideas I've had for new engine designs and such for cars.) Regardless though, Siena seems like the most knowledgeable person to assist in getting all the right things for a conversion like this as well as making sure they're all properly placed.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:27 AM
4th Gear

Audi is starting to bring the TDI's here, but you have to understand the cost and parts needed to make the TDI's a very clean burning diesel. This was a big topic at the last Purems open house by the Total oil rep. He explained what they actually have to do and the high cost parts that are on the new TDI's to make them run so clean. Fact is that its not the actual motor that is running cleaner it is the added parts in the exhaust that is helping to clean and remove all the harmful material before it comes out the exhaust pipe.

So there more to it then just throwing a TDI motor into your car when it comes to this country. Now maybe if you were to make that TDI run on bio diesel.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear

Good point. Having browsed through the TDI info section on AudiUSA I can see why that would affect the cost of building and running one in the USA.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear

I'm trying to get my wife into a TDI Jetta.......we would consider the diesel A3 but it'll be a while til it gets to the states....her lease ends in Feb.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear

I was under the impression the TDI A3 was set to be released here sometime in October of this year? Coulda been '10 though, it was some time ago I looked into this release.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:37 PM
3rd Gear

been to the dealership many times....should be mid 2010 when they roll into the lots, unfortunately we don't have the luxury of waiting

Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 PM
4th Gear

I would really like to see someone come out with TDI hybrids.

Quick Reply: Now here's a B5 project I wish I could spearhead