B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

oil leak, still persists after seal & gasket replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear
Default oil leak, still persists after seal & gasket replacement.

Hey fellas!

I just replaced my vcg,half moon & Tensioner gasket seal, both cam seals in the front of both cam shafts. Yet, i still smell oil fumes, when i have the heat or AC on, when i click the circulation button ( the curves arrow on my AC controls ) that brings in air from outside and the small goes away.

I also see smoke at night, coming from my headlight, just like before and when i brung back Audina to get her transmission and motor mounts replaced, we saw oil leaking from the same spot it was before, in the front as if they are still leaking from the front camshaft seals. This was when Audina was high up on the lift.

Now, after installing 2 brand new cam seals, i would think it wouldn't leak anymore but could it be something else that could be leaking, besides the cam seals i just saw replaced with my very own eyes?

I watched him as he did this, so i would like to know, if there are other seals that needed to be replaced in the front of the engine?

I just need to know, what are the things that normally leak oil on 2001 Audi A4 1.8T B5 AWM engines? EVERYTHING!

Last edited by morpheous; 09-16-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear

Cam caps? You mentioned nothing about cam caps in your post. Were they changed as well?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
Cam caps? You mentioned nothing about cam caps in your post. Were they changed as well?
NO, i never knew of cam caps. where are they located and what do they look like?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
NO, i never knew of cam caps. where are they located and what do they look like?
I would lean more towards improper cam cover gasket installation.

The cam caps are pretty self explanatory. Caps that go on the ends of the cam. I think you can get them installed without a major teardown.

Anyway, back to my original idea. Did you apply black RTV to the corners of the cam cover gasket, both sides and both surfaces, and let it cure for 24 hours before you lit a fire? It's a must do process to insure proper sealing of the cover.

I just re-read your post and see that the work was done at a shop. You got in and drove it away as soon as you paid the bill and way before any RTV could have cured. I think that's the problem and don't ask how I know.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
They look like a hockey puck on the back of the head. I'd be surprised if it took you a half hour to do both sides.

Audi B5 A4 Quattro V6 30v Engine Gaskets & Seals ES#283258 Cylinder Head Cap / Plug - Priced Each - 078103113E

Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
They look like a hockey puck on the back of the head. I'd be surprised if it took you a half hour to do both sides.

Audi B5 A4 Quattro V6 30v Engine Gaskets & Seals ES#283258 Cylinder Head Cap / Plug - Priced Each - 078103113E
I think there is only one on the 1.8T.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM
2nd Gear

Pretty sure you're right. Was thinking a V6.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:06 PM
2nd Gear

So fellas, what you guys are saying is, my 01 A4 B5 1.8T AWM has 1 cam cap?

He only did the 2 camshaft seals on the front of the engine,vgc and half moon seal and cam chain tensioner gasket seal. So he was supposed to add some RTV on the camshaft seals and the valve cover gasket?

"Huskerbob

Anyway, back to my original idea. Did you apply black RTV to the corners of the cam cover gasket, both sides and both surfaces, and let it cure for 24 hours before you lit a fire? It's a must do process to insure proper sealing of the cover."

I'm confused by your wording of "Did you apply black RTV to the corners of the cam cover gasket" Do you mean to say, "valve cover gasket?" or cam cover gasket is something else he needed to apply, RTV too?

I saw him apply something to a few corners on the VALVE COVER GASKET.

I need to be very sure and clear on what it is that you fellas are trying to tell me, so when i go back to my mechanic, i know what exactly to tell him, what he didn't do and what he needs to do. I need to know what i am talking about as i don't want to offend him, he's very sensitive, being from Russia! lol

He works at a shop in New york, i am just one of his side jobs, he has access to a garage with a lift in Connecticut, where he and i live.

So please bare with me and explain to me in as much detail as possible, because i am a little confused about the term, "cam cover gasket" and if that is the same as, "valve cover gasket", plus i am confused about if my car has a "cam cap" and if so, how many does my car have, 1 or 2 and where's its location, so i can bring it up to my mechanic the next time i talk to him.

Keep in mind, the leak is coming from the front of the engine, so i'm thinking he could have put the 2 camshaft seal on wrong? or maybe they were defective? maybe its this cam cap, that you fellas are speaking of.

Thanks again fellas for all the feed back.

P.S. I just looked up that cam cap, part number 078103113E and its for the A4 B5 v6 12v engine and not my 01 A4 B5 1.8T 4 cylinder AWM engine. can i get confirmation on this, fellas?

Last edited by morpheous; 09-17-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear

Cam cover is another name for valve cover. There should be minimal RTV used, only in the corners. Some people have said to wait for drying before use, but I never have and it has not been an issue.

There should be only 1 cam cap or plug. It will be on the back side of the head toward the passenger side. It is black and round, about the size of a 50 cent piece. They do leak after time and it is in the perfect place to drip oil onto the hot exhaust. You can replace it yourself easily. Just stab a screw driver through the old one and pry it out. Clean the surface and then push a new one in. I think that all of the 5v heads (I4, V6 and V8) use the same caps.

If you are leaking oil at the front of the engine, the cap is not your problem as it is on the back.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
Cam cover is another name for valve cover. There should be minimal RTV used, only in the corners. Some people have said to wait for drying before use, but I never have and it has not been an issue.

There should be only 1 cam cap or plug. It will be on the back side of the head toward the passenger side. It is black and round, about the size of a 50 cent piece. They do leak after time and it is in the perfect place to drip oil onto the hot exhaust. You can replace it yourself easily. Just stab a screw driver through the old one and pry it out. Clean the surface and then push a new one in. I think that all of the 5v heads (I4, V6 and V8) use the same caps.

If you are leaking oil at the front of the engine, the cap is not your problem as it is on the back.

Right, that's all i needed to know, he was referring to the valve cover gasket and yes, he did put RTV on a few corners and i did drive off after about an hour or so but the leak isn't coming from the valve cover gasket or the half moon seal or the cam chain tensioner gasket, everything is bone dry on and around the valve cover gasket. We both inspected the valve cover gasket and all around it, it was bone dry!

When put on the lift, we saw the leak coming from the front of the engine, are you fellas are saying, that the 01 A4 B5 1.8T AWM 4cyinder has 1 cam cap in the front of the engine or the back?

bshusted

"If you are leaking oil at the front of the engine, the cap is not your problem as it is on the back. "

opps, this question was already answered.

So what should i point my mechanic to look at, when i next talk to him?

I have to meet up with him to finishing installing my Front Outer CV Joint Boot Kit for both sides and take care of something, hitting against the bottom front of the car, when ever a hit a bump.

P.S. could someone explain to me, if there is a cam cap plug for a 01 A4 B5 1.8T AWM 4cylinder engine, why is it that when i run a search for this part, all of them are advertised as being for the A4 B5 v6 engine? Never for the 4cylinder A4 B5 1.8T ?

Last edited by morpheous; 09-17-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: oil leak, still persists after seal & gasket replacement.