AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   P1517 Main relay problem (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/p1517-main-relay-problem-135575/)

nuaudi 07-21-2009 03:28 PM

P1517 Main relay problem

Guyz,
My car (00 A4 1.8T) just died and wont start. Checked the fuel pump and seems to be OK. Got the Vag-com from autozone n plugged it in my car and got P1517- Main circuit relay crap. (NO CEL)
I checked all the fuses under the driver door bay and seem to be good.
Is this problem due to any relay inside the ECU or something else. If so what do i need to change and how do i do it.

Where can i buy the spares if it is the problem with the relay.

nuaudi 07-21-2009 10:19 PM

oh. come on guyz.. help me out here...!!

SAudi 07-21-2009 10:42 PM

the relays are located under the knee bolster it should be one of those, unfortunatley not sure which one.

nuaudi 07-21-2009 11:08 PM

Is there any way we can test each relay . I can identify a bad fuse by looking at it. But not sure about the relays. I hope the ECU is not bad. Few online posts suggests that it could be a bad ECP or the ECU.
What do you think..

jacquesdub1981 06-30-2013 05:30 PM

ECU Relay

I know this thread is very old and you have more than likely solved your problem, But for the sake of helping someone else here is my experience with this code. My 2000 A4 1.8 would die randomly going down the hwy then not start back up for several minutes. Disconnecting the battery seemed to help but only for a short time. I racked my brain thinking what it could be. I went from fuel pump to camshaft sensor. In the end I located the ECU relay. It`s in the ECU box, labeled 30. An obvious spot but there isn't a relay list in any book I have come across. Once the relay was out I took it apart and found that the braided copper wire was touching one of the poles. I simply pushed it up so it was free then put it back in the car. Not a single problem or a P1517 code since. They are very cheap ($13 at most places) so it`s a good idea to get a spare. When ordering it give the 9 digit number on the side of the relay housing. I am new to the Audi world and this site has helped me a great deal. I hope this helps anyone in the future.

MrSnickelsnizer 06-30-2013 05:38 PM

Thumbs up for the input man :]

HoneyTatum 11-18-2013 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by jacquesdub1981 (Post 1439650)
I know this thread is very old and you have more than likely solved your problem, But for the sake of helping someone else here is my experience with this code. My 2000 A4 1.8 would die randomly going down the hwy then not start back up for several minutes. Disconnecting the battery seemed to help but only for a short time. I racked my brain thinking what it could be. I went from fuel pump to camshaft sensor. In the end I located the ECU relay. It`s in the ECU box, labeled 30. An obvious spot but there isn't a relay list in any book I have come across. Once the relay was out I took it apart and found that the braided copper wire was touching one of the poles. I simply pushed it up so it was free then put it back in the car. Not a single problem or a P1517 code since. They are very cheap ($13 at most places) so it`s a good idea to get a spare. When ordering it give the 9 digit number on the side of the relay housing. I am new to the Audi world and this site has helped me a great deal. I hope this helps anyone in the future.

Just want to let you know that you've helped me today. You've certainly proven that an old post for some is right on time for others. Its been very helpful for me today!

gdalelittlejohn 01-15-2015 07:38 PM

vw audi p1517 ecu power interrupt

p1517 :D

wow after hours of searching found this and i did exactly as stated and the passat came to life thank you !!!!

Originally Posted by jacquesdub1981 View Post

John_E 01-16-2015 11:19 AM

Been there ... done that, 2001 (B5) Passat. As the ECU power relay began to die, it would throw various weird codes with the CEL. I confirmed the diagnosis by wiggling the ECU power relay, then removing and reinstalling it, all of which made the problem sometimes get worse, sometimes better. $20 part, 5-minute repair (don't forget to punch out the little round plug for access to one of the rear bolts).

Crookedtoad 02-16-2015 07:52 PM

Where is this relay at? i have looked in the ecu box and under the dash i cannot find this relay anywhere. I have a 2000 audi a4 2.8 quattro engine code ATQ. I have looked on the net for hours. People talk about it but it is not where it is said to be. Thank you