B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

P1545 Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 PM
1st Gear
Default P1545 Help

so my battery cable came diconected whil i was at work and after re-connected my car runs like poo. I searched the topic but still had a few questions. because my car is DBC my understanding is all ihave to do is disconnect the bat for a half hour and then do a tba and it should run right as rain right? or do i have to limp the damn thing 20 miles to the dealer and have them run a vag?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 AM

P1545: Throttle position controller malfunction.

you should try cleaning it and checking the connection, otherwise it needs to be replaced.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:13 AM
4th Gear

did u try leaving the keys in AcC for like 5 min with the engine off so the ECU can recalibrate.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jc61990
did u try leaving the keys in AcC for like 5 min with the engine off so the ECU can recalibrate.
yep sure did, did that like four times last night. It is not a dirty TB because it only started after the battery came disconnected, and from my understanding this code can come from the battery being disconeccted or from being jummped. Also i called the dealer and that cant even see me until next week so i need to get this car running again before then!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by mr.cAp
and from my understanding this code can come from the battery being disconeccted or from being jummped.
Where did u come up with that understanding? its a sensor malfunction on the throttle body. i would atleast clear the code with the scanner and see if it comes back before you take it to a dealer.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4speed
Where did u come up with that understanding? its a sensor malfunction on the throttle body. i would atleast clear the code with the scanner and see if it comes back before you take it to a dealer.
i came up with that because when i searched every thread i found said that this can occur from a bat disco or being jumped but noone said realy how to fix it.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Site Moderator

There have been a couple times with my 00/dbw that after the battery was dead/jumped I had a throtle body code that went away after it was cleared. As for the running like poop. I had my 97 battery disconnected and when I hooked it back up the idle was bouncy after a start but corrected itself after a few drive cycles. Clear the code, drive a few cycles and see what happens.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

cool thanks i will take it to AZ have them clear it and go from there

Old 09-13-2008, 09:24 PM
1st Gear
Talking ***up date***

Okay it took two days and alot (i mean alot of research)
if you read above you would know that after having my battery disconnected my car started throwing a P1545 code and running like ****.
i think i set the world record for most TBA's in a two day span (about 27)
any way if you get this code here area few do's and don'ts
1) DO NOT BUY A NEW THROTTLE BODY!!!
2) buy a vag com cable (or ebay cable (thats what i used))
3)Down load vag software 409.1 or lower
4)down load drivers and patches for software (for ebay cable(sorry cannot help you there but there is a good article if you google "ebay vag cable" i think its called $20 vag com it will tell you were to go and what to down load)
6)run the vag com TBA
7) go in the house, sit on the couch, crack open a cold one, and watch rocky(or any movie, cus ur done)

i found that this problem can only be solved by using a vag com to recalibrate the connection between your computer and TB, some times doing it with your key can work but not in my case (or many others)
Simple math
1 hour labor at dealer $90
vag com software $99 (with $10 ebay cable) = $100

so for $19 more than the dealer you can have the greatest tool ever made for your car.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:59 PM
5th Gear

ive gotten that code plenty of times after disconnecting my battery and forgetting to do a TBA. you just reconnect the battery, put the key in the on position (dont start it), walk over to your TB and listen for a click. once it clicks, you start the car and your good to go. works for me everytime

Quick Reply: P1545 Help