B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Parking Light Delete/Turns Only DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Parking Light Delete/Turns Only DIY

This is the last time I try and do a writeup after drinking.. I lost the entire thing twice haha. So I apologize in advance for any clerical mistakes and such..

Anyway I know this isn't the newest subject but I felt like it was something that needed a clear solution and easy hit on the search or maybe part of the DIY.

So like many of us are you tired of the 8958784 colors emanating from the front of your car? Matching all the front lights even after converting entirely to xenon is ridiculous when you consider those lovely orange parking lights. Well fear no more as there is a free and easy solution.

*PLEASE NOTE* As this lies in a legal gray area in most states I take no responsibility for the results of such a mod... but it sure looks good!

Also this applies (as far as I know) to all B5 years, one or two piece headlights.

What you will need:
-Beer
-T-30 Torx socket/driver
-Wire cutters

First you'll need to remove your headlight housing with the Torx, but no need to disconnect everything as all you're concerned about is the turn signal.

Once you have that out of the way, twist the bulb out of the corner and separate it from the plug housing.

With the bulb in hand you will notice four wires/contacts on the base, you will be cutting two of these. The parking light is the raised filament and is powered by the inner two contacts, cut these as close to the base as possible. You can try and tape over these wires but most likely the heat in the housing will deteriorate the adhesive and lead to some issues... these bulbs are cheap so IMO its best to just cut the wires. To help I have included a really lame diagram showing what I'm talking about.

Once you're done just pop the bulbs back in, reinstall the housings, and enjoy your car's pretty new face!

If you added a lot of ingredient one be responsible and don't go driving too soon after the install...

Attached Images  

Last edited by TheProfessor; 05-22-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:29 AM
4th Gear

Does this set off the 'you have a light out stoopid' alarm?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:46 AM

nice write up man!
thanks!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Does this set off the 'you have a light out stoopid' alarm?
negatory my friend. i didn't attempt it for a long time assuming it would, but i had some extra bulbs laying around and just felt like giving it a shot earlier today. worked like a charm!

Last edited by TheProfessor; 05-22-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what this will do. I assume the lights won't go on anymore, but honestly I'm not too sure. Help? Hahaha.

Nevermind.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

haha its all good.

i'll try and take some pictures or a short vid tonight of what it looks like, but basically now when the headlights are on the front parking lights don't light up orange unless you have the hazards or turns signals on on.

its most aesthetically beneficial for those of us with xenons, and it looks especially nice IMO with the fogs a proper yellow.

i just felt like doing something visually pleasing to the outside car since i tend to spend all my focus on the mechanical side of things... especially after some unknown ******* stole it and drove it through a barbed-wire fence a year ago EXACTLY the day i was between insurance carriers. i replaced the hood, fenders, and suspension but it still looks like freddie kruger payed me a visit. i guess it just makes the car more of a sleeper until i put together a proper rs4 kit and the money for a good spray.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear

So you've taken out the side markers. You're car is no longer lighted from the side. Those "parking lights" are actually running lights so your car is visible from the front and sides with them on.

I understand the drive to make the car's lights look different, but sacrificing safety in the process isn't the "brightest" idea.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

your point is most illuminating the side visibility may actually be different with earlier headlight housing styles/two pieces and i did not think of that... but i only have experience doing this with mine and my car is still clearly visible from the side. both when signals are on as well as off. in some countries the car comes from the factory set up like this, and the running lights are only on when parked and left on for visibility along the road.

also the side markers are the little guys on the fenders and they have not been touched.

its just another one of those things that some may want to do and others wont. i've upgraded all the lighting on my car to be bright as hell for visibility sake, so for me IMO there really isn't any decrease in safety... just a decrease in legality in some states/regions.

Last edited by TheProfessor; 05-22-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM

im debating about doing this!!
i'd want them to only turn on when i have just the running lights, but then turn off when the headlights come on! but be a functional turning signal all the time....

Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

im pretty sure you can do that with the vag-com, but ill look into a possible wiring tweak for it as well. if you want see how you feel about it in this configuration you can put some tape over the contacts temporarily, or go grab some super cheapo bulbs at autozone and clip them so you dont ruin what you have if you dont like it.

Quick Reply: Parking Light Delete/Turns Only DIY