B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Potential Build

Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

AudiForums.com - View Profile: Mike-2ptzero

That is the guys profile I am referring too. I am surprised he has yet to chime in.

Redline has a good point. For the power and response you are after an S4 can get you there and if you look at the cost of things you will realize that it will be comparable. Building a turbo A4 is not cheap.

Turbo- $600-1200
Header- $300
intercooler- $300-$1000 (CX racing seems to work fine)
Rods- $235-$400 or more
down pipe and exhaust- $1000
Injectors- $200
Clutch- $400- $600
Software- $500 - $800

And I am sure a bunch of other **** as well. You can get an S4 with mild mods that should have you very close to what you are after for $8000. I remember a blue one I am still kicking myself in the *** over that went for $6500 and was dyno'd at 360awhp with all scheduled maintenance.

The turbo I was referring too uses a T4 50 trim compressor and I highly suggest a Billet compressor since they spool faster and flow more (50 lb min opposed to 46 lb min which is about 40 hp difference). I also suggested the stage 2 turbine which is smaller then a stage 3 but bigger then a stage 1. A stage 1 runs out around 250whp so it would be worthless. The stage 3 handles flow the best but has a bit of lag. The stage 2 handles your goals but spools best. I would go with a .60 comp cover and .63 turbine housing.

Another option would be mating a GT3071R compressor to a stage 2 turbine for even better spool but this is custom work but can still be down afforadably if you source the work right. The main thing is getting a turbo that is quality.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

But I just feel that S4's would be a huge pain in the *** with maintenance.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Administrator

A 400whp A4 is also going to be a pain in the ***. I think anyone who is speculating about building a serious engine needs to experience them first, and I'm not sure that you guys (OP and zandrew) have much seat time in built Audis, given your recent memberships here. That's not me hating in any way - just observing and drawing on the hundreds of newer members who have posted up right after joining about the multi-hundred horsepower builds they "need". A 500hp Audi(a few of which I've driven) feels a lot different than a 500hp Nissan (which I've owned) which is different again from a 500hp V8 (which I've also driven). It doesn't take that level of power to make a car fast for street or auto-x. An APR 2871r car spools fast and is damn quick, and requires nothing but bolt-on parts, and will be a lot less compromised than a BAT 2.0 due to having to mess with fewer parts and subjecting the engine, driveline, and the rest of the car to less stress. Hop a ride in, or talk your way into a test drive of, a 300-350hp A4 and get a feel for it. It's a legitimately fast car (haters who think a car has to waste a GTR to be "fast" can STFU before you even start flapping your yaps), capable of taking down most of the cars you're likely to come across, and it'll spool fast enough to be able to run the cones well. Additionally, taking some of that $73858564358 engine build money and putting it into a driving school or two will make you faster as well. Should you decide to go all-out on a stroker BAT setup, budget plenty of money for the rest of the car (suspension, brakes, bracing, mounts, cooling, tires, clutch, flywheel, etc) as well as a daily driver.

Take it or leave it for what it is, it's just my opinion based on 20 years of modding cars.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

I'm guessing you didn't read any of my previous posts because I clearly said that I just said 400hp at the beginning just because. I said right afterwards that I want anywhere in the 300-350hp range. I just want a car that will be a fun project for us and will be able to be fun to drive. I'm not looking to kill supercars with a freaking a4. This is in no means meant to be a serious all-out build.

I just want to get people's opinions on what should be good for this power range without anyone bashing me for inexperience. I'm pretty sure you gain experience by doing, or at least that is how I like to do it.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Then you guessed wrong - I've read the thread in its entirety and I saw that you revised your power numbers. You're also not the only person I'm talking to. Not only did I mention zandrew, who is also discussing a bigger build, I'm also putting this out there for others who are looking into building their cars. I wasn't bashing anyone at all, and stated that as well. Like I said, take it or leave it. You wanted opinions based on experience and that's what I'm offering, since I built my 300ZX, I've done a lot of maintenance, upgrades, mods, and repairs on A4s and S4s of many levels of tune, and on domestic V8s as well. I have been to this dance many times. Next time put up a disclaimer stating you don't want dissenting or varying perspectives. No butthurt is necessary - I don't come here and start **** with people. If you think I'm being inflammatory, then I'd suggest you thicken your skin. This is only a perspective gained from doing the work. The real trolls will be obvious if/when they come out.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

I know you're not trying to be a troll. I'm just saying that I want people to actually answer my questions for once instead of saying to do something else instead.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

I am not hating on your reply. I am as new as they come with Audis but not necessarily new to turbos. My 400whp build is just not as detailed as you might think. My plans are to replace rods, ceramic coat some bits since I am capable of ceramic coating and love the ****, reuse the stock pistons, replace the exhaust valves, cleanup the head ports, and be done. 400whp is only a safety margin for my economy build. That is all. I have been in the phase of buying parts that come up at killer prices.

I would like to mention though that the turbo I suggested is really not that big. The T3T4 50 trim is about the most common sold T3 sized turbo and is also the faster spooling of the bunch. I also suggested bits to AID in spool like stage 2 turbine and billet compressor. From my knowledge of other cars with these 2 provisions over your more common Stage 3 turbine 50 trims you lower spool dramatically. I know on one specific setup 10 psi was a full 800 RPMs sooner. That and also the fact that you can buy these in the $600 range makes them a very appealing setup. The GT3071 hybrid I suggested can also be put together for $700 and spools even quicker. These are setups I know and trust from my prior expierence.

I have looked at the eliminator setups and they are nice. However for the same price and some patience buying parts that come availible you can build a comparable setup that can produce just as much pony power. It really depends on what you want and how much you are willing to wait. Also how much work you are willing and more importantly comfortable with doing.

I agree with the rest of setup needing to be up to snuff but I have everything else taken care of like suspension and brakes (except I have maintenance I am now getting taken care of). One of the most important parts commonly overlooked by first timers though is tires.

Also Mr Satan what specifically are you refferring to about a 400whp car being a pain in the ***?

Last edited by zandrew; 02-19-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

I really hope you guys didn't think I was just going to build up the engine and then call it good. I know I have to take care of the rest of the car as well, I personally find the engine to be more of an issue seeing that you can buy some nice coilovers, sway bars, bigger rims and tires and then big brakes. I want to take this one step at a time.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 AM
1st Gear

Lord I hope so. My coilovers are not that great and I have seen that the sport package shocks are pretty good. My car came with the sport package but the prior owner removed for some cheap coilovers. Something tells me that a set of decent springs and sport package suspension would have been better....

Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 AM
Legal Moderator

let me ask just how involded is this build going to be? are you replacing internals? are you planning on removing weight? is this going to be a dedicated track car but with plates on it?

in all honesty, if i were to build a autox/roadcourse car, i pick a turbo very carefully. lag is a bitch. my car makes zero power below 4500 rpm.

in the first video, notice the lag in first. in the second video, after i shift from first its floored the rest of second gear. and keep an eye on the boost gauge and the tach at the same time. and thats a 2871r. you gotta ask yourelf if you want to keep your revs that high all the time at the track. if your building a drag car, than by all means go big.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential Build