B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Preparing for Future Maintenance Costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 04:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Preparing for Future Maintenance Costs

First off, I am thinking that if I intend to keep my Audi, I should probably get some sort of OBD2 scanner. My friend has an Equus Inova 3130 that reads the car just fine, and I have used it a couple times now to clear code 0442. I like the scanner because it also gives a plain english description and can be used with other cars. I keep hearing about the vag.com scanners. Can they really do anything that this one can't, or is there another handheld that is better and hopefully not limited to only Audi/VW?

Code 0442. I really couldn't care less whether or not the evaporative system works 100%. Can I somehow tell the computer to always and forever ignore this silly code?

Exhaust leak on exhaust manifold. Probably the gasket that is bad - how difficult is it to change that gasket? Also, I noticed (when I was in a dark garage) after driving up a one mile hill that the exhaust manifold visibly glowed red. Is that normal?

Similarly, after driving up that hill (40mph), I smell hot oil. I know I should idle the car, but I really don't want hot oil smell in my car, so I don't. What constitutes "hard driving" requiring a cool down period for the turbo?

Finally, the crappy black plastic trim on the bottom of the door, and at the step into the car is broken. It was about 0 out (warm for our winter-time and it gets that cold in Germany as well) and my boot cuff caught on the bottom of the plastic trim as I was stepping into the car and it shattered into 3 pieces! Rather than replace it with crappy plastic, I'd like to get something that's not going to shatter again like aluminum. I found some aluminum trim for the regular A4 sedan, but I need to know if this will fit the Avant. Right now the car looks like crap from the side because neither the door trim, nor the one on the door is intact. No other car I've ever driven had a piece a plastic in that place that shattered - so does Audi just use really bad plastic, or what is the deal?

Old 02-19-2011, 05:23 PM
4th Gear

I actually just ordered the lowers for my right side (been missing a long time, finally got around to it) but this winter I also managed to break my moulding under the lowers on the left side. I couldn't find it on ESCTuning.com. Where did you find aluminum ones?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Actual WIZARD

Your car can't ignore DTCs, as its an emission part, required by some states. The little k03 works really hard, it will glow red. I drove the hell out of my car one night, and got the whole manifold and turbo red hot, just invest in a turbo timer or idle out before turning the car off. Any driving is hard enough to constitute idling. get a boost gauge, then you'll actually see how much you spool

Old 02-19-2011, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Keegan. Given that, perhaps I should just get an autostart installed for about $500 since I've been wanting one anyway...that way I can both shut off the car or start it. Unless a turbo timer is much cheaper?

Speaking of the k03 turbo, I have 133,000 miles - should I worry about it going out, or are they pretty indestructible as long as you don't abuse the car? I know I've read about people using the k04...is that just more power, or would having a bigger turbo put less strain on it?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

Bradtyler,
I could have sworn I bookmarked the site. Maybe it was on my work computer. I'll check on Monday, but I have the sneaking suspicion it was for a different Audi - at least different than the Avant because looking at mine today again, I remember that the ones I saw were wider.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 AM
4th Gear

I found some aluminum trim for the regular A4 sedan,
I have a regular sedan... if you happen to find that link, I would greatly appreciate it...

I do believe a turbo timer is much cheaper than the autostart, plus you won't have to remember to shut it down after a few minutes... nothing like getting distracted, then wasting a half a tank of gas