B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Quattro Trip, No 4th or 5th gear???

Old 10-25-2013, 06:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Quattro Trip, No 4th or 5th gear???

have a 2001 A4 2.8 awd trip with 86k miles. For some reason 4th and 5th gear dont work!! It runs perfect, in trip mode you can shift it 1st,2nd,3rd, but then it just free wheels 4th & 5th (reverse works fine too).

No codes when scanned with vag com. Just did a full trans fluid change & new filter but no difference. Also when I dropped the pan there was no derbies or metal parts in the fluid (thats why I went ahead and did the fluid change to see if that made a difference).

Anyone had this issue??? I bought another transmission, just would hate to go through all the work of putting it in if its electrical!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Faulty ground? Possible but unlikely. Are you smelling anything burning in 4th and 5th? Could be bad clutch packs but at that point I think it would make more sense to find an 01A and convert the car to manual than spend the extra 500-1500 for a used or rebuilt automatic transmission.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Having the same issue with my 99 a4 with triptronic.

I have a 1999 audi a4 quattro That im having the same problem was wondering of you found the issue and what it was? I changed the fluid and filter also . and i ordered solenoids that i was told fit my car but the ones in the transmission were different. Theres also no codes either . and if i drive in regular mode it will drive fine for like a few mins then go into limp mode until i shut it of and start it back up it goes away and have to drive in trip mode and only goes up to 3rd gear. .

Old 08-26-2018, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

Hey Sunl125 didnt know if you noticed but that post was from like 5 years ago i doubt they are even on this forum anymore at this point. Do you happen to own scan tools to check for transmission codes? id start there, sounds like you might be on the right track with the shift solenoids thats what id guess it to be but i wouldnt suggest buying them unless you scan it first and find out something for sure. there are cheap scan tools and expensive ones out there. i have a cheap one i got off amazon that can scan your audi for most any electrical problem. Mine is a Vgate scanner model VS450 it was like 40 or less and has been very helpful

Old 09-18-2018, 08:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Still need help

Wasnt really directed towards anyone in particular. I was hoping them or anyone has had the problem im having and if they figured it out and had any idea. Im new to the audi world lol . i have a scan tool and it had like to codes and both of which came out to posible shift solenoid problems . i already have the shift solenoids i just cant seem to find anything telling me which one is for the 4th and 5th gear. I put all new fluid in it and trans filter shift alot smoother with the new fluid and filter but when it hits 4th or 5th i seems to be in a neutral and just revs until i downshift back to 3rd gear and if i dont downshift in tim it will go into limp mode . btw it is a auto with 5speed triptronic .So when i mean down shift its in trip mode but it does the same in regular drive mode .
Originally Posted by europeancarguy
Hey Sunl125 didnt know if you noticed but that post was from like 5 years ago i doubt they are even on this forum anymore at this point. Do you happen to own scan tools to check for transmission codes? id start there, sounds like you might be on the right track with the shift solenoids thats what id guess it to be but i wouldnt suggest buying them unless you scan it first and find out something for sure. there are cheap scan tools and expensive ones out there. i have a cheap one i got off amazon that can scan your audi for most any electrical problem. Mine is a Vgate scanner model VS450 it was like 40 or less and has been very helpful