B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

First autocross

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
Default First autocross

Im going to be entering in my first autocross event this weekend and would like to know a few things. Does anyone have any tips on autocrossing and is there anything I should watch for in particular with our cars?
-Thank you

Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
5th Gear

it will understeer like a **** so watch your tire pressure. put 3 psi more in the rear. also if you don't hit any cones, you're not going fast enough lol. stay in 2nd, after start, unless your course is rly big or rly small.

as far as driving tips, remember to brake. if you don't brake, you're slowing down too early or not going fast enough. make sure your first run is about learning where the key places are that you think will slow you down and try your best to push the limit more at those places. also watch what the other cars are doing and how they're tackling the course. it'll rly help your time

Last edited by hiwords; 09-22-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
4th Gear

if you don't hit any cones, you're not going fast enough lol.
Haha... try not to hit the cones was going to be my tip... but I have yet to actually got AutoXing...

Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

I do recommend hitting a few cones on the first run or runs to learn where your car is. First runs as well, just go slow slow slow. Then pick up speed. The Porsche club I run with does about 12 runs per day, last 3 counting. I do recommend buying good summer performance tires if you want to pick up some easy time. Just have fun really. You shouldnt hurt your car. If you hear tire squeal, slow down. A little in the A4 is good, but too much and you eat your tires. Being 4wd, get on the power sooner, but do it smoothly. Smooth and slow is fast.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
I do recommend hitting a few cones on the first run or runs to learn where your car is. First runs as well, just go slow slow slow. Then pick up speed. The Porsche club I run with does about 12 runs per day, last 3 counting. I do recommend buying good summer performance tires if you want to pick up some easy time. Just have fun really. You shouldnt hurt your car. If you hear tire squeal, slow down. A little in the A4 is good, but too much and you eat your tires. Being 4wd, get on the power sooner, but do it smoothly. Smooth and slow is fast.
You wouldn't happen to be in the NY area would you?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Kinda think about when you drive on a go kart track... Slam the freaking throttle and only break if you have to!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM
4th Gear

I've never had to use the break on a go kart track. Actually I don't think I've ever had to do anything less than WOT...

Does that mean the track sucks and the karts are too slow?

This reminds me of a good story from back in NY. A few buddies and I went to a track and paid for 30 minutes. The guy warned us if we got too wreckless he would stop us and we'd be out. So, we were pretty mild mannered, until he gave the last lap signal. Somehow we all suddenly thought we were in bumper cars. I think we were banned from the track indefinitely...

How does this apply to AutoX? I have no idea, but playing bumper cars with your Audi is probably a bad idea...

Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

good thing to think about gokarting and autox is left foot breaking!!! left foot breaking is the difference of 1st place and last!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

Dumb question, isn't it bad to ride the throttle and brake at the same time? Or does it not matter for a 55 second Autox lap?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

watch the unfair advantage and youll hear all about left footed braking.

Quick Reply: First autocross