B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

red brake light flashes/Antifreeze leak from Who knows where

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy red brake light flashes/Antifreeze leak from Who knows where

Red Brake Light Flashes and when I hit the Brakes I hear a beep after I release them.
Also I have a small antifreeze leak from God knows where. And I just recently had a new radiator put in thinking it was the problem. Smh. Least I got a new radiator. But I need these 2 problems fixed. And last on my list. Not important at the time. Is a cheap suspension kit. I will need a new suspension soon.... any help is appreciated! Thank you guys!!!

Old 10-26-2017, 03:10 PM
2nd Gear

The brake light means, obviously, something wrong in the braking system.

Do you have enough fluid? The fluid may drop below the sensor level when you press the brakes. Does the car brake okay? If you have the time, I would pop off all 4 wheels and inspect things to make sure.

For the coolant leak, you'll have to trace it back. Where's the puddle forming? Follow that up to the wet spot coming off the engine.
You can also rent a pressure test kit from autozone/o'reillys to pressurize the system. First wipe everything down with a rag to dry/clean it off, then pressurize the coolant system, then look at what's newly wet.

Dunno about the suspension kit, I've been lucky enough to not need to replace that... yet.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

My brake light also flashes on and off but only when I hit a bump or dip on the road. My braking is fine, so I'm assuming it could be a loose ground wire somewhere because when my alternator was going out, my brake light on the dash would come on saying i'm losing power, so I replaced it with a new one and it stopped. The one reason I can suspect a loose ground wire is because it only happens when I hit a bump or dip on the road meaning a wire is coming off the chassis and grounding itself after passing the bump.
As for the leak, check your coolant reservoir for any cracks, if nothing, check all the coolant hoses from the reservoir to the radiator, then check the lower hose on the passenger side that goes into the thermostat housing. If thats all dry, then try checking the coolant temperature sensor as mine leaked there before and I had to replace the sensor itself and the O-ring, because the sensor was so old it cracked and I had coolant leaking through the electrical part of the sensor. Finally, if its not that, it may be the coolant inlets to the back of the heads or head, you never specified if it was a 1.8T or 2.8 v6. But I'm responding for the V6. I got my suspension kit from Ebay and its held up pretty solid!.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29049867999...84.m1436.l2649