AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   replaced serpintine belt tensioner, still shakes and makes same noise (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/replaced-serpintine-belt-tensioner-still-shakes-makes-same-noise-206076/)

morpheous 03-16-2014 01:06 AM

replaced serpintine belt tensioner, still shakes and makes same noise

I just replaced my serpentine belt tensioner with a new one from ecstunning meyle brand and it didn't change the noise it makes in idle and in drive, nor did it change the shaking of the tensioner.

The tensioner that was replaced, was purchased just 6 months ago from esctunning, so the warranty took care of the replacement but when i took out the tensioner and spun the roller, there was no noise that would normally indicate, that the bearings were bad. it was smooth and silent.

So I'm going to send back the one i took out, so i can get my money back.

I am still puzzled on why the tensioner is still shaking and making a loud noise, whenever i am at a complete stop at idle and when i put the car in drive.

When i replaced the 1st tensioner, there was no noise, nor was the tensioner, shaking at all. It was perfectly still with no noise.

anyone have any idea what it could be?

Could the serpentine belt cause this shaking?

when i look down into the space, between the engine fan and the tensioner, i can see the roller that the belt, rolls against at the bottom of the tensioner and its shaking and kicking up slightly as the belt, rolls against it, is this normal? Is it normal for the nub that you grab with a wrench, to release the tension, to shake back and forth, very rapidly?

Both the new and old tensioner is doing and sounding the exact way, so there is nothing wrong with either of them. what gives? :confused:

turbo510 03-17-2014 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by morpheous (Post 1467071)
I just replaced my serpentine belt tensioner with a new one from ecstunning meyle brand and it didn't change the noise it makes in idle and in drive, nor did it change the shaking of the tensioner.

The tensioner that was replaced, was purchased just 6 months ago from esctunning, so the warranty took care of the replacement but when i took out the tensioner and spun the roller, there was no noise that would normally indicate, that the bearings were bad. it was smooth and silent.

So I'm going to send back the one i took out, so i can get my money back.

I am still puzzled on why the tensioner is still shaking and making a loud noise, whenever i am at a complete stop at idle and when i put the car in drive.

When i replaced the 1st tensioner, there was no noise, nor was the tensioner, shaking at all. It was perfectly still with no noise.

anyone have any idea what it could be?

Could the serpentine belt cause this shaking?

when i look down into the space, between the engine fan and the tensioner, i can see the roller that the belt, rolls against at the bottom of the tensioner and its shaking and kicking up slightly as the belt, rolls against it, is this normal? Is it normal for the nub that you grab with a wrench, to release the tension, to shake back and forth, very rapidly?

Both the new and old tensioner is doing and sounding the exact way, so there is nothing wrong with either of them. what gives? :confused:

Did you take the belt out for an inspection? While you are at it, you can start and run the engine to be sure that there are no noises coming from behind the TB cover. With the belt out, grab and try to move each of the pulleys that the belt runs on- none should shake. If the belt is old, I'd suggest putting a new one on, they are less than $8 at autohausaz.com for instance.

morpheous 03-17-2014 05:17 PM

I haven't taken out the belt, entirely to inspect it. I'll invest in a new belt to see if that stops the shaking. Are you sure that a belt can cause the tensioner to shake and make noise during idle and in drive?

what would cause this? belt dry? cracked? worn out somehow? what should i look for on the belt, to conclude it needs to be replaced?

turbo510 03-18-2014 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by morpheous (Post 1467211)
Are you sure that a belt can cause the tensioner to shake and make noise during idle and in drive?

what would cause this? belt dry? cracked? worn out somehow? what should i look for on the belt, to conclude it needs to be replaced?

I didn't say that a belt can cause what you see, and I wouldn't expect it to. More likely are the accessories that have changing resistance as they rotate, such as the air conditioning compressor (on a V6) or power steering pump, and maybe even vibration damper action at idle.

morpheous 03-18-2014 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by turbo510 (Post 1467312)
I didn't say that a belt can cause what you see, and I wouldn't expect it to. More likely are the accessories that have changing resistance as they rotate, such as the air conditioning compressor (on a V6) or power steering pump, and maybe even vibration damper action at idle.

I notice that when i turn the steering wheel to the far left or right, the noise goes away but when i turn the wheel, straight on, the noise comes back.

any idea what that means? power steering works fine, no issues.

M5S5 03-19-2014 10:38 AM

Check the belt!

morpheous 03-19-2014 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by M5S5 (Post 1467346)
Check the belt!

what am i looking for, when checking the belt? lol