AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Revs taking a long time to drop (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/revs-taking-long-time-drop-141356/)

bigtm792 11-03-2009 11:51 PM

Revs taking a long time to drop

Hey guys, im posting this on behalf of a friend of mine that has a 96 2.8qm. I was driving his car today and i noticed that the revs take a painfully long time to drop when upshifting. I had no luck searching the only thing i found was someone complaining about the heavy flywheel making the revs drop slower than in most cars, but im pretty sure thats not the problem here. When your in gear driving normally and hit the clutch to shift, the revs just hang there for a good second before they drop and its really annoying because it takes forever if you want to get a good shift. (I dont know if anyone is gonna bring this up but i made sure i wasnt holding my foot on the gas for a split second while hitting the clutch. i made sure to take my foot off the gas first.) Anyway, i know this is not right because i have a 2000 2.8 and my revs drop as soon as i take my foot off the gas. The only thing i can think of is his gas pedal is very very stiff compared to mine. Mine feels like any other pedal in any car ive driven, his feels almost as stiff as the clutch. Is there a chance that when you take your foot off the gas in his car it doesnt go to zero throttle right away and stays pushed for a second? Thats the only thing i can come up with. Other than that i got nothing what so ever. Anyone have any insight?

BTW sorry this was so long.

ghost6303 11-04-2009 12:07 AM

probably the throttle cable is sticking either in the sheath or the throttle itself needs some cleaning. if you have vagcom you can watch the throttle angle reading while driving and see whats going on.

dragonrage 11-04-2009 12:22 AM

Could be that, or could also be a vacuum leak.

fastenhard 11-04-2009 10:52 AM

I don't think its the throttle. If it was the rpms would go up as soon as the clutch is pushed in. Does it stick like that in neutral? If it doesn't then you know its not the TB.

Dose it shift ok when the rpms stay up there or do you have to wait tell the rpms drop?

exequiel3k 11-04-2009 09:35 PM

what is it's Idle rev. when not pressing on the throttle?

Andrew149 11-04-2009 10:11 PM

maby the oil in the transmission is all sludge'd up just a thought

TeeterTawter 11-05-2009 04:56 PM

sounds like my work truck, the floor mat was half on it lol. and old ashphalt was holding the mat to the pedal.

Broncoman75 11-05-2009 06:12 PM

I am gonna go with whoever suggested the heavy flywheel. more rotational mass=more inertia. a heavy flywheel will take longer to slow down just like it will not be as quick to rev.

dragonrage 11-05-2009 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew149 (Post 1147142)
maby the oil in the transmission is all sludge'd up just a thought

That would create more drag and make the revs want to drop.