AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Right rear brake leak, left front control arms (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/right-rear-brake-leak-left-front-control-arms-139820/)

bradtyler02 10-04-2009 10:35 AM

Right rear brake leak, left front control arms

So, I have a leak on my right rear brake somewhere, and I can't for the life of me figure it out. There is a light coating of brake fluid pretty much on everything down there, but I can't seem to trace from where. Now, I've got a little wet spot in my driveway where I park the car. The hose to the caliper is tight, and the hose looks good.

I'm going to tear into it again this morning and look a little harder, but if anyone can make some suggestions, I would appreciate it....

Also, I have some squeaking starting to come from the left front whenever I get in/ out of the car, turning at low speed (like parking the car) or over small bumps at low speed. Last time this started, I took the wheel off and applied a little automotive grease to all the pivot points and rubber pieces hoping it would quiet the rather embarassing noise. About a day later, it stopped squeaking, I assume after it had a chance to work itself in to whatever was making the noise. Now, the squeak is back, and I'm going to lube again, but is it about time to replace the control arms?

Just another long list of things to repair...

hiwords 10-04-2009 11:57 AM

take the caliper off and have some one press the brake lightly. if it's not coming from the bleeder screw, it's coming from the piston seal. make sure you have something to screw the piston back in so you can install the caliper back on.

for the squeak, you control arms are going bad. jack the car up and see if you can shake the wheel and if any of the CAs move at the joints. they should move if they're good. also how did you grease them? you can inject grease through the boot if you have a grease needle but it's not rly recommended

bradtyler02 10-04-2009 12:36 PM

Well, I just went out to take a closer look, and what was a small spot on the ground has turned into small river running down the driveway. I disassembled everything and think I found the culprit. There is a seal where the E brake connects to the caliper. Perhaps this is the seal Hiwords was referring to. Now, my brake fluid is dangerously low, and I need to bleed the brakes. What a day. Is it possible to fix this seal without replacing the whole caliper? On top of that, it looks like the left rear might be starting to leak a little too.

As for the Control Arms, I just liberally applied grease wherever I could cram it. It stopped the squeak last time for several weeks. Guess I have two big (as in expensive) projects in my near future...

bradtyler02 10-04-2009 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic. The arrow points to the seal that is leaking... Is it possible to repair it, or is this a replace the whole thing kinda problem...

ObnoxiousDrunk 10-04-2009 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bradtyler02 (Post 1135573)
Guess I have two big (as in expensive) projects in my near future...

Well if you are willing to tackle the Control Arm job yourself,you'll save a ton of money. I wouldn't consider myself a junior mechanic and I was able to knock the job out in a weekend. The kit is only $470 from Blauparts.....a couple 12 packs and maybe a friend or two to help out and you should be good to go.

bradtyler02 10-04-2009 01:00 PM

Only $470? Haha...;)

kingofnyc22 10-04-2009 02:05 PM

http://www.ecwerks.com/audi/a4-s4-rs...l-arm-kit.html
Good price for the kit if you need upper replaced.

mharris23 10-05-2009 01:48 AM

i have the same problem with my brakes, its the drivers side rear though. any idea how to fix it?

bradtyler02 10-05-2009 06:45 AM

I'm not sure, the calipers themselves are about 110 bucks each at AutoZone, and my driver side is starting to leak now too. I think I'm just going to replace the whole damn thing, calipers, pads and rotors just to get it all done and forget about it...

If I find a cheap rebuild kit, and it works, I'll let you know...