B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Safe to run without a maf sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Safe to run without a maf sensor?

so...a4 1.8na auto car's been giving me occasional gear stuck and only wanting to shift at 4k rpm.

took it for my log book service the mechanic told me my mounts needed replacement but they couldnt replicate the odd high rpm shifts.

i tried all the free solutions first, scan for error codes..
and this comes up
17916 - Idle Control Sys: Upper Regulation Limit Reached
P1508 - 35-00 - -

Now i tried unplugging the maf and it seems to be fine but i dont have the tools to remove the maf sensor to clean. so meanwhile is it safe to run the car without the maf plugged in apart from the maf signal too low error that i will get after?

also why is it that even with my maf plugged out im still getting readings in the measuring block 002?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM

the car will run without a MAF it will use a default reading for the MAP and it will run bad. the code looks like its from your idle valve which is on the intake pipe. can be cleaned with MAF cleaner. or the wire might be broken. easy fix for the both.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

hi jon, thanks for prompt reply. by idle valve do u mean the tb?

sorry im really new to all these

Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Have the mechanic do a throttle body adaptation with vagcom and see if that helps. Also, the MAP sensor was only on cars above a certain model year (believe 99.5), and it's in the intercooler. Being that you have a non turbo, you won't have a MAP sensor as you never get above ambient pressure.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Have the mechanic do a throttle body adaptation with vagcom and see if that helps. Also, the MAP sensor was only on cars above a certain model year (believe 99.5), and it's in the intercooler. Being that you have a non turbo, you won't have a MAP sensor as you never get above ambient pressure.
ive been doing loads of tba myself with the vagcom.

im really tempted to take the tb out for a clean but i lack the tools plus its under alot of wires and even the radiator coolant tank is in the way, idk why but from the videos / pic of other a4b5 guides their tb looks easily accessible cause the air intake runs along the bottom between the engine and the radiator whereas mine runs along the top between the engine and the battery, the tb's kinda stuck deep under a jungle of pipes and wires.

Last edited by wtfs; 04-29-2012 at 03:45 AM.