B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

SAI Readiness

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default SAI Readiness

I live in a province where there are no emissions tests.

How does one go about getting the SAI readiness set to always "Pass"?

Same goes for catalytic converter efficiency... would be nice if a non-existent cat wouldn't set an engine light.

Is this the kind of thing that can be done as part of a chip package? Or does it require reprogramming of the ECM?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Administrator

SAI delete will have to be done as part of a chip tune. Most places will offer it or code it for you for a little extra cash. The cat efficiency code can either be coded out or prevented with a spacer for the secondary O2 sensor. RAI, 034, and 42DD all offer spacers, but they're not cheap. I'm running this little guy and it works perfectly for 1/4 of the cost. Make sure to use anti-seize between the sensor and the spacer, and between the spacer and the test pipe to prevent it from becoming a permanent part of your exhaust

Old 08-13-2012, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

Do you know who offers these options with a chip upgrade? ECS Tuning does not, and I was hoping to get the APR tune for my car.

edit: tried calling a few local places too, and they all say they don't have the software to do it. But I've read about other people who've had it done. Just can't recall when or where.

Last edited by GoremanX; 08-13-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

In the end, I think it comes down to the tuning packages offered by a reseller. I continued calling local places, and came upon a shop that sells both GIAC and APR tunes. According to the guy I spoke to, he can more easily customize a GIAC tune to code out things like SAI and cat efficiency, but doing the same thing with an APR tune is a whole lot harder. In any case, he tells me he can do what I need, so I guess I've found my answer.

Incidentally, when I used the ECS Tuning Live Chat to ask the same question, I had a horrible experience. The Live Chat initially asks me for my vehicle details and my question, but none of those things get transferred to the person who picks up the chat (which took an interminable amount of time to happen). So I have to retype everything again once someone finally picks up. And then the guy helping me was incredibly slow and was mostly unhelpful. The whole thing took about an hour. At the same time, I got through calling 12 local places on the phone and always got answers to those same questions quickly.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Administrator

The more I've heard about ECS's customer service, the less I like. I'll continue to buy things from them when necessary as long as it doesn't involve me talking to any of their employees.

It will be easier to get stuff like that coded out if you go with a company like J-Fonz tuning, Speedtuning, Motoza, etc.