B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

scanner

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Default scanner

my obd-2 scanner stopped working with my car, took the car to get scanned at autozone/mechanic and their scanners didn't work with it either. the scanners just hang when it tries to read codes.

it cost me $116 for the mechanic to check for blown fuses and tell me the scanner wasn't working...after i told him that i already checked those things. needless to say, i don't want to get any more work done with them.

i read in another the thread that a blown fuse in the head unit could cause this to happen, but that issue was never resolved. my radio did stop working randomly one day, but i can't get it out, even with removal keys, so i can't check it out.

the mechanic said it could be a possible instrument cluster problem.

any ideas?

Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: scanner

I bought a $300 obdII scanner and it doesn't work on my car either. It works on my others though. I have checked all my fuses and they are all good. Good luck finding the issue.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry im no help, but thats when my radio stopped working too, i heard a spark from the OBD connector i think before it happened. My VAG worked after that but my radio didnt, i had to pull its fuse for a couple hours for it to start working again. Maybe you gotta get the radio working first idk sorry im not more help, if it were me id pull of the knee panel and trace the wires a little bit, then check the wires at the computer.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Dallas09

Sorry im no help, but thats when my radio stopped working too, i heard a spark from the OBD connector i think before it happened. My VAG worked after that but my radio didnt, i had to pull its fuse for a couple hours for it to start working again. Maybe you gotta get the radio working first idk sorry im not more help, if it were me id pull of the knee panel and trace the wires a little bit, then check the wires at the computer.
i'll try pullin the fuse out for a couple hours like you did..

edit:

since you're from dallas, tx(?) i'll let you know that the place i went to was autoscope near coit/bush. they've done much more work for that price before, i don't know what they were trying to pull over on me, but they've lost me as a customer.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear

My first name is Dallas (i live in MN) haha but yeah just like the city actually, but im sure someone would appreciate that so they know not to go there. It does sound like they screwed you for that price, if all they did was try a different scanner and check fuses, that takes like 5 min tops.