B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

seatbelt locked up after accident?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Site Moderator

Your missing the point, seat belts that lock normally can cause internal bleeding from you moving forward into the belt at high speed. Thats why they designed a belt that releases a charge (same as a .22 caliber pistol) to pull the belt into you so you won't feel the shock of flying forward. Right now you have the technology of an 82 buick without that extra steel to save your ***.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TheBat
Even though I [...] have been in a few wrecks.
case and point. it will most likely happen again. just be prepared.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Point taken, I know the technology is there for my car to be safer. I just don't think its worth the money to repair. This is the first car I've ever owned with airbags.

The chance of a crash is small, the chance of a crash of me hitting something or rear ending someone, or lane crossing incoming traffic is even smaller.

The two crashes I had were, 1-playing in the snow, 2. bled the brakes improperly. oops. Nothing is certain, but I don't live my life in fear.

If it was good enough in 82, its good enough for me!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TheBat
I'd just like to know that when I do put my belt on, its going to work
Then replace them!

I can't believe you'd cheap out when it could mean putting your life on the line. You might be a "safe" driver, but what about the drunk driver you don't see coming? We all make mistakes, but the outcome can depend on our preparation. I recently fell asleep at the wheel of my beloved Jag and totaled it. I drove straight through a curve and into a tree at an unknown rate of speed because my foot pressed down. I have a team of Jag engineers to thank. Airbag, seatbelt, and whatever Guardian Angel I may have watching me helped me walk away from a potentially fatal crash, unscathed.

If it was me, I'd put the airbags back in and replace the seatbelts. I used to be so against all the safety electronics until recently. Somebody I went to school with died when he fell asleep behind the wheel of his vintage GTO, yet I walked away from my accident in a car loaded with safety features. They won't always save you, but the chances of survival are much higher. It's just something to think about.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

I understand what your saying, but I just don't feel that I need the best of everything to keep me safe. I'm not a believer of Murphy's Law. Any idea what it would cost for two new airbags and two new seatbelt systems? Probably more than the car is worth. I estimate this car at 2500 bucks. Its not going to happen.

Hey its safer than the motorcycle I'm about to get!

The seatbelts are locked in the "unused" position, so does that mean the guy before me wasnt wearing them when he crashed? I've seen them hanging out after accidents in airbag vehicles. He said he was doing about 55 mph and rear ended someone that pulled out in front of him. I fixed the car for about 700 bucks. Yep there was some nasty frame damage to the front rails. But the car drives great for 150,000 miles. I've gotten numerous comments on it after people ride in it or drive it, and gets much better mileage than my truck. I'm happy with it, but not happy enough to dump 2000+ dollars into it.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Hi Guys!
I may be a little late, but browsing online for similar issues I've discovered a company that resets SRS airbag modules (crash data & hard codes) and repair seat belt pre-tensioner after a vehicle has been in an accident. The prices seem quite competitive, $49 for module reset and $59 for seat by repair. Their website is safetyrestore.com

They just did a 2007 Nissan Altima for me, and I'm quite satisfied.

Let me know if I've been a help.

Thanks!