B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

so my timing belt didnt fail but something worse

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM
1st Gear
Default so my timing belt didnt fail but something worse

now that the shop i had to take my car to has finaly got around to my car found what failed in the motor. apparently the chain tensioners guide broke apart and it locked up the top end and sheared the key on the tb gear. which explains the turning over with no compression like a broken tb. now the mechanic said that the root cause he has seen something like this would be a lack of maintance or even possiblely someone put in the wrong oil, im thinking probably both. but has anybody had this happen before, is this kinda common or is just a oddity?

Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by legendpilot
now that the shop i had to take my car to has finaly got around to my car found what failed in the motor. apparently the chain tensioners guide broke apart and it locked up the top end and sheared the key on the tb gear. which explains the turning over with no compression like a broken tb. now the mechanic said that the root cause he has seen something like this would be a lack of maintance or even possiblely someone put in the wrong oil, im thinking probably both. but has anybody had this happen before, is this kinda common or is just a oddity?
I don't think the oil had anything to do w/ it. I suppose you could call it lack of maintenance though. The tensioners get noisy when they start to wear out and I would think that it just got loose and the chain started slapping it and just eventually tore everything up.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Site Moderator

You'd have to run a bad cam chain tensioner for a long time before it caused the chain to slip or snap. Surely there were other symptoms before this happened.. Like a loud screech/rattle/chain slap sound that varies with rpm... A bad cam chain tensioner usually means the lifters are having a hard time getting oil to the top of the engine, which usually means oil sludge.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

he showed me the head and it did have a small amount of sludge build up. but the tensior made no horrible noise, ive heard way worse chain slack from my 85 toyota pickup that i use to own. it only made a slight noise on idle which went away after it warmed up. now another question, since there was sludge build up in the top end i would imagine theres some in the bottom and whats the best way to get it out. are there engine oil treatments that i could use?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear

How do the cam bearings look? If it was sludged, you'd see evidence of an oil-starved valve train.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

i know the cams were in good shape, im not sure bout the bearings tho. the head didnt have a thick amount sludge it was just more like a film. hopefully i can have it back before the end of next week, i havent had it for almost 2 months now.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:04 AM
5th Gear

run seafoam in the crankcase for 50 miles then change your oil. use about 1/2 can. i doubt you're gonna get it back in a week. parts are pretty expensive but if you can find them used, you'll be good

Old 01-17-2009, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear

he could do that maybe if the car was running^^ lol

Old 01-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah if the cam lobes look alright then thats the best way to know. The main problem is the oil pickup screen is restrictive and sludges up too easily. Best thing to do is on time oil changes and use the big oil filter. Maybe a seafoam treatment to the crank every 3rd or 4th oil change.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 AM
1st Gear

the parts were on order last week and should have been in on friday, and the price isnt of much concern since the dealer i bought it from is paying for most the damage. ill plan on doing a seafoam treatment as soon as i get it back and then a few more down the road. i wouldnt think theres different sized filters but the two i have (audi and a mobil) are huge compared to the ones i use on my SBC in my pickup. but thanks for all the help guys!