B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Sunroof slider shade rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Sunroof slider shade rattle

I switched out the complete sunroof assembly in my 98 A4 B5. Works great except the slider shade now rattles.

It's kind of annoying. Anyone fixed this issue?

Also, I have an extra sunroof glass if anyone needs one.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

sorry about bothering you, but you seem to be the man for my question: my slider is stuck...

I'm thinking about disassembling the whole roof liner, collumns etc... is it too complicated? do you have any documentation (like haynes) that shows What I have to do to disassemble the sun roof and fix it?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear

My sunroof rattles too. On longer trips I used to stick a towel up there and it kept things quiet.

I have taken apart a sunroof several times and can help walk you through it, Pitao (or anyone else who has questions). It's simple enough to be able to put it back together after taking it apart. The hardest part is not breaking anything in the process...

Old 09-01-2011, 11:22 PM

Mine rattles as well. I haven't really tried, but I've had my sunroof apart (replaced the fabric on the slider) and can't really think of what would cause the rattle. Maybe the springs on the guides get loose? ECS sells the sunroof guides:
OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

Also Pitao if these guides are broken they can prevent the slider from sliding. Getting the sunroof out is quite a pain: need to remove "oh ****" handles, A pillars/B pillars/C/D pillars, light assemblies, sun visor assemblies, then the clips that hold the headliner to the sunroof have to be detached, and lastly the headliner needs to be pushed toward the rear of the car so the back of it can unhook from the roof. Getting the headliner out of the car proved to be the most difficult part for me, aside from putting the sunroof back in (I did all this by myself... it's not easy to support the 50lb sunroof and screw it in place at the same time, by yourself).

Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

great tips!!!

my sunroof works fine, just the slider is stuck. when I have time I´ll do it, i want to change the fabric too, I want to have the fabric in black ultra suede, but the "oh ****" handles and everything is gray, what should I do? paint it?

about the "oh ****", here in brazil we have almost the same name for it. we call it "puta que pariu" that could be translated as "holy ******* jesus, mary and joseph", it is a emphatic "HOLY CRAP!".

about the disassembling, not breaking stuff is my main concern. here in brazil it is not easy to find B5 interior parts.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 AM
2nd Gear

The sunvisor clips will probably be the first thing to break. If you do try this, be very very patient in removing them. If you can find a junked B5, I'd even practice on it while pulling those clips as back ups for yourself. If the only thing you plan on doing is fixing the slider, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking anything on the sunroof unit itself.

You'll need to remove the entire unit and move the window piece to slight beyond the "open" position. The slider slips out easily. I'm sure you will be able to see how it's hanging up and freeing it should also be easy.

Again for the rattle, I've heard you can try to lubricate the seals on the sunroof, but I doubt that would work and if it did, I doubt it would last long.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM
3rd Gear

Almost every B5 I've been in has a rattly sunroof slider. If you find a fix, you might become legend on the Audi boards.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, unfortunately mine didn't rattle before. Here's my timeline:

- Sunroof wouldn't close, then it got jammed/out-of-synch when I cranked it shut manually.
- Decided to fix the sunroof issue and also fix a dent in the roof.
- Spent about 3 hours carefully removing the headliner/trim.
- Fixed dent, reset sunroof motor, cleaned sunroof switch (the main culprit!)
- Went to test the synchronization of the mechanism/switch with the sunroof glass removed. Mistake! Sheared off part of the spring-loaded mechanism, completely trashing it.
- Removed the headliner again in 1 hour.
- Removed the broken mechanism parts so I could re-install the glass.
- Got sick of not having a sunroof, so bought a complete unit from a junkyard for $60.
- Removed the headliner in 20 minutes.
- Installed complete, functional sunroof unit

Sunroof works great. The whole saga started with a bad switch. Alcohol fixed the dirty contacts. Should have done that in the first place.

Drove from Boston to DC yesterday and the rattling is annoying but I'll get used to it after another week.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

SOLUTION: Remove the sunroof slider shade. I got sick of the rattling and just took out the thing.

I think the problem was that one of the metal stoppers with rubber damper that catches the shade when you slide it back was broken off and the other one was bent, so the rear of the shade would bounce up and down when the sunroof was fully retracted.

When I tried to bend back the remaining stopper, it was brittle and snapped off.

My other sunroof assembly had the same problem with one broken stopper and the other one bent.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

So there´s anyway to took the sunroof shade out, without disassembling the whole interior?

I´ve seen some videos (Golf, Jetta etc) and the sunroof shade guides could be replaced by taking of the sunroof. look at this: VWVortex.com - DIY: Removing sunroof, fixing shade guides

Is it possible doing that to a B5?

Quick Reply: Sunroof slider shade rattle