B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

super charged 12v vs. 30v swap?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Listen buddy. I have a 30v 2.8. Its great.

If you are serious about speed.. stick to the 1.8t.

Any guy who loves his B5 can make that 1.8 pur.

The 2.8 is a good motor.. it has good torque on the low end.. but supercharging it is kinda pointless. Believe me. Im the guy who was asking about doing the same thing.

The conclusion is... more power for less money.. 1.8t ... more power but more pricey.. 2.7tt.

Those are really your best options. Remember... if your stuck on that supercharger... you can strap it on to the 2.7tt. You can twincharge in series or parallel if you wish, or you can stick with k03's cause they spool up practically instantaneously.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Kamil`
Listen buddy. I have a 30v 2.8. Its great.

If you are serious about speed.. stick to the 1.8t.

Any guy who loves his B5 can make that 1.8 pur.

The 2.8 is a good motor.. it has good torque on the low end.. but supercharging it is kinda pointless. Believe me. Im the guy who was asking about doing the same thing.

The conclusion is... more power for less money.. 1.8t ... more power but more pricey.. 2.7tt.

Those are really your best options. Remember... if your stuck on that supercharger... you can strap it on to the 2.7tt. You can twincharge in series or parallel if you wish, or you can stick with k03's cause they spool up practically instantaneously.
you need to pay attention to when the thread was started. the one guy necro bumped this thread to ask where he can get a new engine. I don't think he is interested in supercharging

Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
you need to pay attention to when the thread was started. the one guy necro bumped this thread to ask where he can get a new engine. I don't think he is interested in supercharging
Yea I gotta stop waking up with one eye opened and logging on to audiforums lol.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear

Love this term.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by bshusted
Love this term.
ever since I was modded, I kind of have to use terms like this. remember folks, necro bumping is frowned upon. I don't have much of a problem with it if a) the bump is only a year or two old or b) if the bump is HIGHLY pertinent to the facts of the thread.

In this case, necro bumper satisfied neither of those rules and should have made another thread. Its not a huge deal because it doesn't happen often, just try to be courteous. No need to elicit responses from members who haven't been active in years.

I appreciate people use the search function. That's what it is there for. If the old threads will no answer your question, start a new one. But at this point in the B5 game, the info you seek is somewhere out there.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:41 AM
1st Gear

i had the same thought about converting my 12v to a 30v. in my research, i discovered that its a pain in the ***.... the heads, the manifolds, the intake, wiring harness, and the biggest difference that stuck out to me.... the ECM. all different. your best bet, if you wanna do a swap, go for the 2.7tt. practical, tunable, and ive seen quite few stage 3s that can rip apart a lambo. just something to think about.
in the end, youre better off saving your money, keeping the 12v as a daily and buying a cheap s4 and tear it down, rebuild it, and then stack on parts to get it in the ballpark of where you want your power. they come stock with 250hp anyway. a few small add ons and a tune could put you around 300awhp, easy.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Mhuntington
i had the same thought about converting my 12v to a 30v. in my research, i discovered that its a pain in the ***.... the heads, the manifolds, the intake, wiring harness, and the biggest difference that stuck out to me.... the ECM. all different. your best bet, if you wanna do a swap, go for the 2.7tt. practical, tunable, and ive seen quite few stage 3s that can rip apart a lambo. just something to think about.
in the end, youre better off saving your money, keeping the 12v as a daily and buying a cheap s4 and tear it down, rebuild it, and then stack on parts to get it in the ballpark of where you want your power. they come stock with 250hp anyway. a few small add ons and a tune could put you around 300awhp, easy.
While I appreciate the thoughtful reply......
ever since I was modded, I kind of have to use terms like this. remember folks, necro bumping is frowned upon. I don't have much of a problem with it if a) the bump is only a year or two old or b) if the bump is HIGHLY pertinent to the facts of the thread.

In this case, necro bumper satisfied neither of those rules and should have made another thread. Its not a huge deal because it doesn't happen often, just try to be courteous. No need to elicit responses from members who haven't been active in years.

I appreciate people use the search function. That's what it is there for. If the old threads will no answer your question, start a new one. But at this point in the B5 game, the info you seek is somewhere out there.