B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

TB Issue w/codes (NEED REAL HELP w/TPS!)

Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Default TB Issue w/codes (NEED REAL HELP w/TPS!)

I recently pulled off my throttle body and gave it a cleaning.. and also ran seafoam through the TB, tank, and crank. Before I did either of these things I had the car in the shop and they said it was throwing out 19 codes... I was able to test it today.. and it gave only 6 codes .. so i'm getting somewhere. previously (even a year ago) the car was giving oxygen sensor codes.. which.. didn't even show up this time..... kind of curious i think.

P0102
P0112
P0123
P0303 (will try regapping the plug)
P1544
P1545

I searched the for the meanings and all on these codes on the forum.. and got a general idea of what they are....

I'm not exactly sure what to do to take care of them though.

I've been doing all the searching I can on here.. but someone is always giving different info... or not enough.

I've read that if you d/c the battery for 10min and then turn the key to the ON position the TB will align itself and you will be able to hear a humming sound.

I've tried this several times and there is NO HUMM! I have the plastic cover off the side of the TB and watch it when the key is turned.. it clicks for about 1 second then goes back into position. I put a bit of alcohol in the electronics in hopes of it cleaning something... let it dry and all.. but.. no change..

If the TB does NOT humm does it mean it needs to be replaced or not? I can't find a straight answer on this.

Only other real question is ... will a bad TPS cause the other codes that are listed or must there also be another bad part? or is the computer just out of whack and not allowing anything to work as it should?

Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: TB Issue w/codes (NEED REAL HELP w/TPS!)

P0102 is MAF or big air leaks
P0112 is the air intake temp sensor
P0123 is the pedal position sensor
1544/45 are also related to throttle body or throttle position sensor.

Before replacing things, see if someone with a Bently can walk you through the troubleshooting procedures. Unfortunately, I'm traveling and don't have my books with me.

Go check the wiring harness for the pedal positon sensors clean the contacts.

Best I can suggest without books.