B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing Belt Price Quote

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear
Question Timing Belt Price Quote

I took the A4 into a euro shop I've gone to alot before with other cars to have them diagnose an oil drip I've noticed lately and to also give me an estimate on the whole timing belt job. I asked them how much it would be to replace the following:
timing belt and its tensioners/rollers
waterpump (metal impellor)
thermostat
a/c belt
power steering belt
cam seals
valve cover gasket
coolant flush
heater core flush
oil change

They came back with a quote of $1900 but also added in cam tensioner and gasket. Seems really high to me? What would a reasonable price be for all that? I know its a major overhaul that will be close to 9-10 hours of labor but it just seemed kinda on the high side.

Let me know what you think.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

Edit: You've got a 2001, and if you want the actual cam tensioner replaced, then it's gonna be expensive since the 2001 part is way more expensive. I think it should probably be more like $1400 though.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

make sure you need your cam tensioner replaced. tensioner seals should stop the leak. and the actual tensioner itself is like 500+ dollars.

timing belt job = 450 dollars labor, if you provide your own timing belt kit.
cam tensioner seals and plugs = 270 per head. (parts+labor) but will cost more if you one of your heads will require a timing belt removal.

if you don't get these prices you're at the wrong shop. most places with a staff of mechanics will overcharge you because they have higher hourly charges and also usually will take longer to get your problem fixed. i go to a mechanic who has his own shops and works on all the cars himself. a mechanic should almost be your best friend when it comes to cars. he should also know a lot about your car before you even speak to him. if not, get a new one.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear

yea i think that price is about right. maybe a little high but like the 2 others before me prices for the 01 cars are alot more then for the pre 99's.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

i agree with rawdney of getting a mechanic that actually does the work himself and like a best friend. they are more trustworthy but harder to find. I would say $1500 for all that should be good.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
i agree with rawdney of getting a mechanic that actually does the work himself and like a best friend. they are more trustworthy but harder to find. I would say $1500 for all that should be good.
1500 sounds about right. at first i thought 1500-1900 would be a little much but after seeing the '01 model pricing for parts...i nearly **** myself. so glad i got my 98 b5.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

i say do it yourself and save all this beer money

Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear

Okay so it seems like its just a bit on the high side. I've got the DC premium to pay as well as the fact that I'm a college student pressed for time. I don't have any viable working space at school otherwise I would definitely do a DIY over a weekend.

Does the cam tensioner need to be replaced? Or is it another "since your in there" replacements?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 PM
2nd Gear

They do sometimes need to be replaced, but only if they're problematic. They will probably be causing a noise, though you might not know what to listen for if you're not good with cars...

Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dragonrage
They do sometimes need to be replaced, but only if they're problematic. They will probably be causing a noise, though you might not know what to listen for if you're not good with cars...
pretty much if you have a bad cam tensioner your car will sound like a tractor...with the clicking engine noise. youtube it. and you will see what i mean. its not common but it is also not something unheard of. usually something that occurs +100k miles. i wouldn't consider it a "while your there" necessity because it isn't a regular maintenance. but most likely it will go bad eventually, as all things will in a car the older it gets.

find a better mechanic. don't go to euroshops. trust me. find a local garage that specializes in audi's/porsches/ vw's.... i know im redundant but if you find a mechanic who actually wants to keep your car performing well, he won't charge you so much. i calculated my mechanics hourly rate today, he worked on my car for 6 hours doing a 60k maintenance and an overall check up-he charged 160 dollars for labor = 27 dollars an hour~

im guessing mechanics view it was since people can afford pricier cars they can afford pricier/ hefty maintenance fees. i say **** them...and find a mechanic who you can trust your baby with. im serious...

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Price Quote