B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

water appears on driver side Audi rubber floor mat after car wash!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 AM
2nd Gear
Question water appears on driver side Audi rubber floor mat after car wash!

I took my Audi A4 to a vip car wash last week,one of the guys that got in the car after my car was exiting the tunnel,was pointing down toward the floor,i had no idea what he was trying to say,so he waved me over,to my horror,i saw foam and suds and water on my Rubber floor mat on the driver side.

Lucky for me,most of the soap and water was on my Audi rubber floor mat and not the carpet but there was water on the carpet.

The next day,i smelled the normal,foul odor that comes when a carpet is wet in hot conditions,so i took it back to the car wash and complained a little,so they shampooed the carpet,free of charge and the smell disappeared.

I got my car washed again at another car wash,it was smaller but it was the same deal,put your car in neutral and have the rollers snag your car along,like a trolly I saw a little bit of water on my Audi Rubber floor mat on the driver side,nowhere as much as the other car wash,though,not even enough to get the carpet wet,underneath the Rubber floor mat.

So my question to you guys,where do i look for this leak? I know its coming from a seal,somewhere around the driver side door? or the moon/sun roof? i am baffled,i never had this problem happen before.

I would also like to know,if i find the seal that is leaking,how in gods,green earth,do i fix it? do i apply some sort of glue or epoxy thingamagig? and how can i even begin to root out the leak,so i can find it?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Administrator

could be sunroof drains, but as i recall the water usually pools in the back foot wells. did you get that letter from Audi USA about it?

Other places i would look: weather stripping around the driver's door, the felt strip on the driver's window, and the windshield seal on that side. I've had all three of those things leak on previous cars.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear

yeah,i got the letter,guess i'll check all the above,i don't know how to find it though,nor do i know how to fix it,if i find it.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Administrator

The sunroof drains are easy enough to fix, i cleaned mine shortly after i bought the car about 2 years ago. If you open your sunroof all the way and look in the little groove that goes around the opening, you should see four little holes. They're your drains. Sometimes, as was the case with mine, the blockage will be blatantly obvious (mine was a leaf lol). Since the water is pooling up on the driver's side, i'd start with the driver's front corner of the sunroof, then check the rear corner. You may as well inspect the passenger's side as long as you're in there.

Or if you'd rather, that letter stated that if you take your car to any Audi dealer they have to inspect and clean your sunroof drains for free like once a year, so you could just go that route

Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
The sunroof drains are easy enough to fix, i cleaned mine shortly after i bought the car about 2 years ago. If you open your sunroof all the way and look in the little groove that goes around the opening, you should see four little holes. They're your drains. Sometimes, as was the case with mine, the blockage will be blatantly obvious (mine was a leaf lol). Since the water is pooling up on the driver's side, i'd start with the driver's front corner of the sunroof, then check the rear corner. You may as well inspect the passenger's side as long as you're in there.

Or if you'd rather, that letter stated that if you take your car to any Audi dealer they have to inspect and clean your sunroof drains for free like once a year, so you could just go that route
nowhere in the Audi letter,does it say they give free cleaning 2 times a year,it only tells you how to clean the roof and if your car has ever leaked,causing water damage,then and only then,will they repair that damage,unless i missed a sentence on one of the pages,please point out the number of the page,so i can reread it.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Administrator

This is a typical issue. Get a 2.8 engine swap.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Administrator

I threw mine out months ago because I diagnosed and fixed this problem 2 years ago

Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

umm..what in the hell,does a engine swap,have to do with a water leak in seals????

Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kriptonik
This is a typical issue. Get a 2.8 engine swap.
agree +1

Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
agree +1
Yes this seems like a good place to start. If the swap doesn't fix it (it should) then move to step 2 which is blowing out the drains with some highly compressed air...

Quick Reply: water appears on driver side Audi rubber floor mat after car wash!