B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

please help with timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Default please help with timing problem

Hello all, I replaced the timing belt on my wifes 2001.5 A4 1.8 today and have a big problem. After replacement, i had to crank it for about 15 seconds and it ran for about 2 seconds then cut off. I would assume the timing is off, but I dont know how to correct the problem. If anyone can help, you will make my wife very happy. She has to drive the Taurus backup untill I figure this out. btw, no issues at all before I decided to take this on.
Thanks
Scott

Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Tech Slut

If the timing marks are both at top dead center (cam and crank), then see if you can turn the engine by hand with a breaker bar and socket on the crank. Id go over everything again and maybe post up some pics. Was that the only thing you did, or did you do anything else to the car.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 PM

thanks for the reply. I had changed the cam chain tensioner the day before. I ran the car for about 20 miles after and it sounded great. So I dont think that is the issue. I was doing the timing belt and tensioner as a maintaince issue and i guess i just didnt do something right. Im thinking that when i put the tensioner in, it may have moved the lower gear and i didnt think to re-check. This is my first time working on the audi. is there a diy or does anyone have any pics to show how to set the timing without making your own marks? Mine, are gone after trying to start the engine. And now that Im reading that this is an interferance enginge, Im worried I bent some valves. Its an AWM btw. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get some pics tomorrow...thanks in advance!
Scott

Old 07-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Tech Slut

Audidiy.com should have one. And there are timing marks on both the crank pulley and cam. These are both at tdc, so if you set them both there you should be fine. Also set the cam one a little advanced because the tensioner will pull it back a bit when you release it. Your going to need a vice to reload the tensioner too. Hopefully you just timed it a little off and the valves are lightly kissing the pistons rather than them being bent.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Default compression test zero

Ok, so I finally found the timing marks after a good cleaning, set the timing properly and did a compression test. The results ZERO in all 4. So Im assuming I have bent several if not all valves. Anyone know a good place in NC to get a head rebuilt that wont require another mortgage? I about 40 minutes east of Raleigh. Thanks in advance
Scott