B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What color rear speaker wires do I connect for aftermarket setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default What color rear speaker wires do I connect for aftermarket setup?

I just got a new head unit and new speakers f and r. I connected the r passenger side speaker with the two stock wires and connected the r driver side with the same color wires but I'm not getting any sound. Am I doing this all wrong or do I just have the wrong color wires connected on the driver side? TIA.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Legal Moderator

im guessing your problem is in the wiring in the head unit. what did you use to adapt the stock harness to the aftermarket radio?

Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
im guessing your problem is in the wiring in the head unit. what did you use to adapt the stock harness to the aftermarket radio?
I used a harness kit for my make/model that I got from the stereo shop so the connections are solid. I'm getting sound from the f speakers but not the rear. I just noticed that there is a sticker diagram on the stock unit that shows what each stock harness does. When there's light tomorrow, I guess I'll try to see which wires are coming out of the "line out."

Last edited by A4 2000; 07-13-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:31 AM
2nd Gear

I circled in red the only 2 harness connections that came with the kit. The lower one is just for the front speakers and the top positive and negative symbols are for the battery I'm guessing. Does anyone know what the others are for on the top one??

Name:  Audi_radio.jpg
Views: 15885
Size:  71.4 KB

Old 07-14-2012, 02:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4 2000
I circled in red the only 2 harness connections that came with the kit. The lower one is just for the front speakers and the top positive and negative symbols are for the battery I'm guessing. Does anyone know what the others are for on the top one??

In order to get sound out of the rear speakers, you need the third harness for the bottom connector which has the RCA out for the rear. Without it, you would have to splice in from your new deck into the factory harness. Here is a picture of the harness missing circled in red. Once you get that piece you should have sound. Good luck.

Doug

Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
In order to get sound out of the rear speakers, you need the third harness for the bottom connector which has the RCA out for the rear. Without it, you would have to splice in from your new deck into the factory harness. Here is a picture of the harness missing circled in red. Once you get that piece you should have sound. Good luck.

Doug

Hmm. I guess I have to look into that. Thanks man.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:28 PM
2nd Gear

You know what, I realized that those wires are just for sending a line out signal for the stock amplified rear speakers. The only way I'm going to figure this out is to see which wires are the rear speaker wires coming out of the radio's harness and make a direct connection with the wires that I connected to the speakers in the first place. My stock speakers were litterally falling apart so I don't mind cutting stock wires for what I need since I'm never going to use the stock equipment ever again anyway.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4 2000
You know what, I realized that those wires are just for sending a line out signal for the stock amplified rear speakers. The only way I'm going to figure this out is to see which wires are the rear speaker wires coming out of the radio's harness and make a direct connection with the wires that I connected to the speakers in the first place. My stock speakers were litterally falling apart so I don't mind cutting stock wires for what I need since I'm never going to use the stock equipment ever again anyway.
In that case cut a set of female RCA's like this to use as your plug ins for your new deck's RCA outs.
You have a couple choices here where it totally reversible or you cut the wires leading up to the connector that looks like this
For me I would want it totally reversible and it sounds like you had those intentions in the beginning since you bought the other two harnesses in the first place. What I would do is solder a hard piece of wire on to the end of your now cut female RCA. Something thick that will stay in the crimp on the above connector. You may have to get creative like cut a crimp end up or use some copper wire from a Cat 5 or phone cable. Something you have lying around the house.

Connect one piece to the end of the center core of one of the cut female RCA. Do the same for the other. Next wrap both outer grounds on the RCA's together and solder a piece of hard wire on to that. For your remote turn on from your factory deck which is normally blue, attach a piece of hard wire on to the end of that. If there is already a small enough crimp on it then leave it.

Now insert the hard wires to the appropriate holes according to this diagram in the "Line Out" section. Insert the one center core to RR, one to LR, outer sheilding/ground to COM and finally your remote turn on to _/+_.

Now plug in your new decks RCA out to the newly formed RCA in for your OEM amp and turn it on and see if you get sound. If you do then button it up by applying tape on the connector and wires you just set up so they won't pull out when stuffing the radio back in. If you don't get sound then check your connections or post up here.

If you don't like the idea of putting pins in then you can always cut and solder like you said instead of inserting and keeping everything OEM. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Doug

Last edited by Cybersombosis; 07-14-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 AM
2nd Gear

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to post how to do all that. Unfortunately, I'm not planning on using the oem amp for my new rear speakers. Since my stereo is 50W x 4 ch, I want to use the new stereo's amp for all 4 channels. I do want to connect the rear left and right channels to the harness that was used for the rear line out connections so that I dont have to run separate wires though. Thanks for showing which harness that is.

Last edited by A4 2000; 07-15-2012 at 03:32 PM.