AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   what does this connect to? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/what-does-connect-159455/)

a4audia4 11-04-2010 02:10 PM

what does this connect to?

1 Attachment(s)
I marked all these wires with tape, but it must have fallen off. I can't figure out what connects to the green wire harness on the right; I've looked all over the engine. I feel a little dumber for asking, but does anyone know? It must be something really simple I'm overlooking... thanks ahead.

1997 2.8 12v quattro

ImTheDevil 11-04-2010 02:57 PM

Follow the harness bundles from around the fans - it connects to one with an identical-color plug. That whole batch of harnesses all lead to the front clip and get unplugged when the bumper and core support come off. You'll probably find that harness hanging or caught down between the engine and fans.

a4audia4 11-04-2010 07:55 PM

I still can't find that damn connector! Man, I looked EVERYWHERE! I had taken off the entire front to get to the engine ( to do complete head gaskets change, upper and lower oil pan gaskets, timing belt, and some other stuff). I looked all over the bumper and the front clip, and STILL can't find it!

Do you know what the green connector is for? That would help a lot- ebahns isn't helping too much here... thanks again.

Dallas09 11-04-2010 11:46 PM

Im not sure what end of the connector you are holding, but it goes to the A/C compressor. Runs along from where those connectors are in the background, along the front where the snub mount is and around to the compressor. On my car that connection connected just left of the snub mount.

a4audia4 11-04-2010 11:48 PM

bump. Sorry, but I'm getting desperate.

There's a part number on it 813971955 if it helps, but I googled it and the closest thing that comes up is that it might be for the A/C compressor. But my A/C compressor only has one line, and that's the slender green connector next to the mystery one. I looked through a bunch of A/C compressors online to see how many wires they had: some have one, some have two. Didn't find anything definitive, so I looked thoroughly on my A/C compressor and only found one wire and a ground.

I think the mystery wire must be from the front clip (like imthedevil said), but I've looked the front clip over and over and over again- and found NOTHING! I've gotta get this thing put together urgently, so any help is great, thanks.

a4audia4 11-05-2010 12:02 AM

dallas-
my compressor is on the driverside, and my snub mount is on the passenger side. If you meant just left of the snub mount when facing the car, then that would my my alternator. My compressor is not immediately left of my snub mount...

But anyway, I looked at your directions. It's not near the alternator (left of snub mount when facing car). For some reason, it is completely out of sight, nowhere obvious. If I could just find what it connects from... Right now, I'd look in my neighbor's trashcan if you told me it was there.

a4audia4 11-05-2010 01:13 PM

Sorry guys, this will be my last bump. Man, it sucks to have to ask you guys, but I'm really wiggin out here 'cause it should be so apparent... if anyone has a 2.8 12v could you tell me where it leads to? Worst case scenario, I'll just start everything up with out the connection and see what doesn't work, but if you could tell me it would save me a lot of trouble. Thanks.

CCA4 11-05-2010 01:42 PM

wish i could help. If i still had my 12v i'd go outside and dig around in it and see what i could see. Good luck!

Dallas09 11-05-2010 09:39 PM

Sorry i thought you were talking about the left connector in your picture for some reason. Im not sure about the one on the right, on my car there are a bunch of connections made in the background of your picture. I dont have a green connector there though, so Im not sure what it would be for.

Tourbo24 11-06-2010 12:57 AM

you are low on fluid on that pic :P power steering i believe?