AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Wheels tires wheels tires.... (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/wheels-tires-wheels-tires-113201/)

SLOJoe 09-17-2008 01:19 AM

Wheels tires wheels tires....

So like it says.. Wheels tires... Wheels tires...

I'm picking up a set of the Miro 279s AKA BBS reps that are still on back order in the next 3 weeks.

But in the mean time i'm looking at which tires to run on them .Ive heard a lot of different names on new tires. Seems like they are coming out every few months with something new so I didn't want to look at too old of threads. The size i'm thinking is 225/40/18 right? These will be a all year kind of tire that will not see the snow. I'm keeping my old wheels too and putting snow snow tires on them. So I need to know in everyones opinion what tires for the 18s and what tires just for the snow on the 15s.

Let the stories begin.

Can't wait to put these wheels on!

-Joe
Pics of peoples cars with 18s would help too.

qUaTtRoA4 09-17-2008 02:41 AM

how wide are the wheels going to be?

mine are 18x8.5"...the tire I am currently running are 225/40/18

the predecessors to those were 235/40/18....but when I did a 2" drop i went with a smaller tire for rubbing issues, which was only in the front and was completely taken care of by simply rolling my fenders....

width of your new wheels is what we need to know!

kriptonik 09-17-2008 02:58 AM

That is correct, how wide are the wheels you're getting?

At the end, it depends on what look you want for your car and the need of it. Like qUaTtRoA4 said, he lowered his car so he went with 225 which is pretty stretched. I would say the downside of using stretched tires would be the fact that your wheels wouldn't look as wide as they really are.

Also what's the budget you're willing to spend on these tires?

ouzo 2 09-17-2008 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SLOJoe (Post 950337)
So like it says.. Wheels tires... Wheels tires...

I'm picking up a set of the Miro 279s AKA BBS reps that are still on back order in the next 3 weeks.

But in the mean time i'm looking at which tires to run on them .Ive heard a lot of different names on new tires. Seems like they are coming out every few months with something new so I didn't want to look at too old of threads. The size i'm thinking is 225/40/18 right? These will be a all year kind of tire that will not see the snow. I'm keeping my old wheels too and putting snow snow tires on them. So I need to know in everyones opinion what tires for the 18s and what tires just for the snow on the 15s.

Let the stories begin.

Can't wait to put these wheels on!

-Joe
Pics of peoples cars with 18s would help too.

235 for sure

SLOJoe 09-18-2008 03:00 PM

Ok so I thought my response went though but for some odd reason it didn't.... Well the wheels are 18/8 or 18/9 I was going to go with 18/8 but now everyone has me thinking... :-/ As for the budget i'll be getting the tires at almost cost because of my work so enough said on that part. I would like to hear which ones what lasts what start crapping out after 10 thousand miles all the good feedback.

Thanks guys I really appreciate any input and PICS too!!!

-Joe

airguard350 09-18-2008 04:27 PM

I have Dunlop SP Sport 8000Es on my 2.8Q and they're pretty good, they handle water pretty good (never hydroplaned once). They're also pretty sticky, it takes some pretty tight cornering to get them to squeal.

qUaTtRoA4 09-18-2008 06:05 PM

go for 18x9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SLOJoe 09-19-2008 01:07 PM

TTT poll added. :-)

fred2ka4 09-19-2008 01:45 PM

That's one thing that you have not mentioned yet, and that's how low is the car or how low do you intend to go as that information will determine the answers you get for how wide you should go on the rims. To give you an idea, I run 235/35/19 Toyo Proxes 4 tires on a 19x8 wheel and I had to roll the front fenders for clearance purposes.

If it's a DD, I would go with the 18x8 and 225/40/18 size and as I really like my Toyo tires that's what I would recommend. My previous tires were Toyo Proxes T1S and they were great as well. The Proxes 4 is an all season where the T1S was a more dry performance tire.

hiwords 09-19-2008 03:37 PM

i run 18x8 245/40/18. i'm on stock suspension so i don't worry about rubbing yet. when i lower it (about 1.5-1.75"), i'm getting 225/40/18. i'll probably roll my fenders too. right now, i have a sub box in the trunk and a bunch of textbooks so the rear end is pretty low. the rear end rubs when i hit medium bumps. here's what it looks like right now
http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...s/hp%20wheels/