B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Who makes a good affordable T25 or T3 turbo manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Who makes a good affordable T25 or T3 turbo manifold?

Just like the title says who makes a good a turbo manifold that is affordable and dependable? I have been looking at the eliminator kits as well but the stock manifold looks like a choker as well.

Thanks

Old 12-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Stock manifold can flow over 350hp - not exactly a choke point. I'd worry more about finding a tune for one of those old dinosaurs than a manifold to mount it.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 AM
1st Gear

Funny you should mention that since that was next question. I am eyeballing the Maestro tuning suite, for some reason I thought they came with base maps but I unsure of this. I have also seen Ctapp mentioned but know nothing of them.

This is my first Audi and only my second German vehicle too a 1964 VW Bug (which I miss). I am going to push a K04 that should get me in the 270awhp range and over 300 with E85 or maybe with a strong tune. While I enjoy that I plan on building a spare block for big streetable AWHP. Leaning towards the 2.0 crank with my stock AEB head and some CatCams. Turbo is most likely going to be EFR since you get so much more for your money.

My point is I would like to find a tuning setup that I can get the most out of this K04 and then swap in the bigger block and turbo and still be in good shape.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Maestro. done one thing youll ever need, it comes with maps or you can easily load them up. It will handle the ko4 as well as the EFR.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Stock manifold can flow over 350hp - not exactly a choke point. I'd worry more about finding a tune for one of those old dinosaurs than a manifold to mount it.
disagree. stock mani is a choking point. sure it can flow 350 but we're talking gt30 elim here. gt30 t3 will have more power and spool. pretty sure thats why frankenturbos come with a new manifold, besides it being inconel

Originally Posted by zandrew
I am eyeballing the Maestro tuning suite, for some reason I thought they came with base maps but I unsure of this. I have also seen Ctapp mentioned but know nothing of them.
maestro comes with some basemaps. if you have a 2001 or have done a wideband ecu conversion there are a lot of maps available. you can use all the awm maps, only a few, and any awp maps which there are a lot of. aeb's have a little less. and btw, ctapp makes maestro. same guy
Originally Posted by zandrew
I am going to push a K04 that should get me in the 270awhp range and over 300 with E85 or maybe with a strong tune.
i am laughing my *** off a this. 270 awhp on a k04? good luck with that. over 300 with e85? sorry but no way in hell will any of that be happening. youll need to get a real turbo to make that power. if you want 270 awhp, youll need a gtrs at least. you could literally buy every part available for your motor and you will not make 270 on a k04 without nitrous.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Legal Moderator

i suppose i could answer your original question though. as far as a good t25 or t3 mani goes, just buy a used one if you can. otherwise atp is good for either size, but they can be a bitch to put on and off. as for the maestro maps, click here https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...o-info-186513/

Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
disagree. stock mani is a choking point. sure it can flow 350 but we're talking gt30 elim here. gt30 t3 will have more power and spool. pretty sure thats why frankenturbos come with a new manifold, besides it being inconel

maestro comes with some basemaps. if you have a 2001 or have done a wideband ecu conversion there are a lot of maps available. you can use all the awm maps, only a few, and any awp maps which there are a lot of. aeb's have a little less. and btw, ctapp makes maestro. same guy

i am laughing my *** off a this. 270 awhp on a k04? good luck with that. over 300 with e85? sorry but no way in hell will any of that be happening. youll need to get a real turbo to make that power. if you want 270 awhp, youll need a gtrs at least. you could literally buy every part available for your motor and you will not make 270 on a k04 without nitrous.

Then laugh all you want cause I'm going make a fool out of you. I'm using a k04 that has a compressor the same size as the gtrs turbo and uses the largest turbine available. The turbo has already made 320 fwhp on ms3 which closes its throttle after 5500rpm. So imagine if it would stay at 80% torque at 6500 as it does at 5500? Look at the definition of hp and calculate it. Consider that the mazdaspeed 3 uses a 2.3 and I have a 1.8.

Fyi this k04 makes the Franken look like a baby....

Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 AM
Legal Moderator

sorry but not happening. plain and simple. maybe a mazda can get that hp with a ko4. an audi wont. at least not a 1.8. the newer tsi and fsi engines might get close to that, but not our motors. but hey, more motivation for you to prove me wrong.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Cast manis like ATP and PSI concepts are known to crack.

RAI builds their own tube manifolds for their turbo kits. They used to be called "red label" but I believe they changed the name to "black label" or some other color. Supposed to be very reasonably priced. Give Ray a call , tell him what you're looking for and see what he can do for you.

I think the point redline was trying to make is that there's no way you'll put that much power to the pavement wit a K04, no matter how big the compressor wheel is. Parasitic loss from Quattro is something crazy like 25%

Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

In most situations I would agree as the K04 is a very small turbo and the quattro does suck hp. However the numbers I have seen are around 21% to 22% which is about right for parasitic loss. The frankenturbo has been proven to make 240awhp and seen as much as 260awhp but I would regard the 240 to be the safe range. It uses a modern style compressor from the same family as the mazda turbos. The franken uses a 41mm inducer and 60mm exducer. The CX7 uses 42.4mm inducer an 60mm exducer. The Mazdaspeed 3 uses 46.5mm inducer and 60mm exducer. The stock VW style k04 uses a aweful style turbine housing which limits flow at the upper end. I am using the ms3 housing which will handle the additional flow.

The CX7 with boltons and a tune will make 240awhp with an automatic and AWD which will rob more hp then the quatro. The euro model CX7 uses awd and auto but uses the same turbo as the ms3. I have seen 265awhp with them. These hp numbers are maxxing in the 5000-5500 range as the TB shuts above this rpm

This is actually a benefit for the 1.8 as it will not spool the turbo as fast as the 2.3 meaning that it torque hook will be shifted to the right (later in the rev range). The definition of hp is torque x rpm / by 5252. I have seen 1.8 dynos with 280 lb ft of torque at 4000 then boost tapers off. With this larger k04 boost peak should be later by atleast 600-1000 rpm. So if I can make 240 lb ft at 6500 pm I can make 300awhp and after looking at all the numbers and everything considered this should not be impossible. If I make 210 lb ft then I will make 260awhp at 6500. Considering that the MS3 compressor will flow 38 lb min and considering the parasitic loss these hp projections should be very possible.

The thing that needs considered is that later you spool a turbo the more hp you will make. The faster the more torque you should make. This turbo should be right in between a frankenturbo and an elimiator setup.

I understand the general feeling about the K04 but if you look at all the numbers and compare how much hp the MS3 K04 makes and then look at a GT2871 on the same motor or a GTRS and then compare those turbos to the same turbo on 1.8 and then compare the K04 to those numbers you get realistic estimation of what the MS3 K04 should be able to make. I did this some time back and I came up 281 awhp on pump and used 25% parasitic loss at 6500 rpm. If I make peak at 6000 rpm then I would still be at 260awhp.

I guess we will find out when I complete it. I am making an adapter to bolt it too the stock mani and then I am going to make 3" test pipe back to my 2.5" ghl exhaust. The only part I am unsure of is the tune but I am thinking the maestro will be fine.

Anyone have any info on Ctapp? Any reviews? Any other suggestions for a good tune or tuning software?

Quick Reply: Who makes a good affordable T25 or T3 turbo manifold?