AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   yay... heater core inlet broke.. any ideas, quick fix? lol (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/yay-heater-core-inlet-broke-any-ideas-quick-fix-lol-188094/)

ou2mame 10-09-2012 04:08 AM

yay... heater core inlet broke.. any ideas, quick fix? lol

1 Attachment(s)
i've noticed this leak for a while, it was little.. had to put in a splash of fluid every few weeks, but lately it got worse, and now its a container a week, so i need to do something. i really don't have the time to do the whole core, so i'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for a temp fix.

i was thinking to pull the rubber piece out and try some jb marine weld or something along those lines. i dunno if that will hold or not with the temp though.

z28pete 10-09-2012 11:21 AM

If you don't need the heater, disconnect or cut the hoses going to the heater core and splice them to each other using a piece of pipe that fits into the hoses, and clamp the hoses to the pipe with hose clamps. This will hold till you can get the heater core replaced.

ou2mame 10-10-2012 02:22 PM

Yeah i thought about doing that, but its starting to get cold in ny, and this winter's supposed to be pretty bad... I know i have to fix the core eventually, but i was hoping someone had an idea to patch it for the time being. i've thought about putting a piece of pipe over the crack with some epoxy, or take the rubber out and run the hose further into the fire wall and put another hose clamp on the outside... something along those lines. i just don't have the rime right now to tear apart the dash. if i can get it to last through the winter that's really all i'm looking for.

98a4guy 10-10-2012 03:04 PM

that could work but make sure the epoxy can handle the heat otherwise ur looking at a lot of time if u change it yourself i just did mine took me a combined 24 hours granted i took my time and read the forums the whole time if you dont have time start saving your money cuz labor is not cheap for them

mtroxel 10-10-2012 03:40 PM

Somewhere, don't ask me where, there's a DIY where a guy put a copper pipe inside the broken inlet and got a good fix that way. Fish around, you might find it.

When you get around to doing it right, it's not an awful job. Just takes a lot of time, and the patience to lable a lot of stuff so you get it back together right.

ou2mame 10-10-2012 04:31 PM

Yeah, I saw that post about the guy with the copper pipe going over it, I think that seems like the easiest solution. I figure I only have one chance to patch it, and either the patch works, or makes it worse. If it makes it worse I have to fix it right. I'm capable of doing it myself, I wouldn't pay someone else to, its just the time involved. I just wanted to know of anyone else attempted to fix it, and what works and what doesn't.

ou2mame 10-10-2012 04:32 PM

anyone know what size pipe would fit over it? its not like i can drive the car to ace and start trying to fit pieces over it lol