B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Zero Dust Performance Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by a2thy
Carbotech's website said I'll have to replace or resurface my rotors if they previously used a different manufacturer's pads. Is this a typical step in replacing any kind of brake pads, even if the rotors appear to be undamaged?
I've always been under the impression that if you change to a different type of pad, you have to have your rotors re-surfaced. It has to do with the way the pad seats into the rotor after time.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear

Avoid YellowStuff. They suck on the street. RedStuffs make just as much dust as GreenStuffs, but add in a noise factor.

Pretty much any ceramic pad will reduce the dust factor, but you'll wish they weren't so noisy and you'll notice a reduction in bite and an [I]increase[I] in stopping distances under normal traffic conditions.

I can't say this enough: Best pad for your money right now is still Hawk HPS. Lower dust than most "performance pads," can take a beating from the weekend AutoX, and will stop better than OE pads under all conditions.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Myst420
I've always been under the impression that if you change to a different type of pad, you have to have your rotors re-surfaced. It has to do with the way the pad seats into the rotor after time.
Technically, if you change any pad, you have to resurface the rotors. The truth is, that most brake lathes in shops are so out of tune, you'll make the rotors worse. Additionally, most manufacturers recommend NOT to resurface used rotors, as it removes mass from the rotors and can cause warping, or the rotors will fall below spec before the new pads do.

If the rotors are in spec for run-out and thickness, not heat-cracked or spotted, and don't have an excessive lip on the edge, leave them alone. If they fail any of the above test, replace them.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

I've had akebono euro ceramic pads for the past year on mine. Huge improvement in brake dust (much less and it's a light brown color that doesn't really show up). Only downside is that the brakes don't have the same initial bite as the OEM pads. Overall braking performance is good, just more progressive and less bite.
Good luck.
Tom

Old 05-29-2009, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear

I'm thinking I'll probably go with Hawk HPS.

I haven't measured the thickness of the rotors yet, but I noticed they do have quite a lip on them. You're saying I shouldn't bother resurfacing them and just replace them? What's the best replacement for them? Drilled, slotted, etc? or should I just go with OEM?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Site Moderator

I effing hate ceramic pads. As stated above, they will reduce brake dust and noise (for a while) but the down sides aren't worth it in my opinion.

Increased braking distance, increased pedal effort, increased heat applied to the rotors resulting in warped rotors, the pads crack and chip off if overheated, and they scream like all hell when they start the crack.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:31 AM
4th Gear

ive had ebc before and they were alright, greenstuff is kinda an organic pad but very good, and redstuff is full ceramic, they put off brake dust but not alot and its light colored so i can go upto 2 weeks with cleanish rims.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:53 AM
2nd Gear

Which ones did you have SAudi? How was the noise? how was the stopping power?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by a2thy
I'm thinking I'll probably go with Hawk HPS.

I haven't measured the thickness of the rotors yet, but I noticed they do have quite a lip on them. You're saying I shouldn't bother resurfacing them and just replace them? What's the best replacement for them? Drilled, slotted, etc? or should I just go with OEM?
If they are in spec, you can leave them alone. If you need new ones, upgrade to TT front carriers and A8 discs. Stick with blank rotors, Zimmerman or ATE are fine. ECS has a well-priced kit put together, just order the HPS pads separately.

Crossed drilled are useless for street cars. New pads are so advanced, you'd melt the calipers into puddles before you could cause the pads to gas. Slotted just chops the pad surface, significantly reducing pad life and increasing noise (sounds like a Jake-Brake on a truck coming down from the highway). Additionally, both of these rotors have mass and surface area removed from them, decreasing the heat-transfer abilities of the brakes, which in turn can lead to fading or warping.

Blank rotors will have the best feel and performance for street or weekend track use, and are usually the easiest on the wallet, too!

As for EBC, Greenstuff is just an OE style replacement. RedStuffs stop well for the street, but they are noisy and eat rotors for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hawk HPS wasn't available for my 02 Jag X, so I used RedStuffs, the whole time wishing I could get Hawk HPS for the car. They were pretty good coming down off the front straight at Limerock, but every day driving situations weren't as inspiring. If Hawk is available, I'd recommend them over the RedStuffs any day.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

I never really considered that TT/A8 brake mod in the past, but I think I'll look into it now. Is it relatively easy to do? How much will I end up spending on all the parts, discs, pads, etc? Is it just for the front, or should I use this mod on the rear brakes too?

Quick Reply: Zero Dust Performance Brake Pads?