B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

02 Audi A4 B6 Quattro Tiptronic Transmission? Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:50 PM
1st Gear
Question 02 Audi A4 B6 Quattro Tiptronic Transmission? Gremlins

Lately I've been experiencing certain "slippage" and/or slight clank/jerk in certain points of motion when accelerating or decelerating (mostly when decelerating from "1st to stop" or "0 to 1st". I searched for days on this and other forums for answers and found one post from two years ago about a B5 that seems to best describe these "gremlins".

The post states:

Hi all, I am new to the forum.

I've had my '01 A4 2.8 Quattro Automatic/Tiptronic since May 2005. After about one year, I started noticing a slight popping/thumping sound when going from coasting to acceleration, mostly at low speeds. Doesn't have to be hard acceleration, but just going from coasting (where the wheels are pulling the engine) to acceleration (where the engine is pulling the wheels), creates the thump. In addition to hearing it, I can also “feel” that something goes "thump" somewhere, but can't really say where it comes from. Also hear/feel the same thump when coming to a stop (while the car is downshifting from 2nd to 1st , I think). I can avoid this particular symptom by coming to a stop very fast (braking hard) or veeeery slowly. Worst case in manuevering around parking lots at very low speeds, 1st and 2nd gear, and ther problem is gone at hogh speeds, 3, 4, 5th gears.

About 1.5 years ago, the Audi dealership mechanic claimed he did not reproduce the "thump" during a test-drive, which first really annoyed me, however after picking the car up I noticed that the phenomenon doesn't really show up until after the car has been running for a little while (5-10 mins). It's like there is a slack somewhere in the drive train that only shows up after the car is warm. I’ve been living with this condition now for about 1.5 years, but it annoys me a lot, and I’m wondering if it’s hurting the transmission, as it seems to get a little worse over time. It’s got 75k mi on it now, and is otherwise in great condition.

Recent work: Just changed the ATF, no change in symptom. Just reset the ECU/TCU (off battery overnight) no change in symptom (except now I need my friggin' radio code again, which I don't have).

Other possible leads: bad torque converter.. not spinning up properly at low speeds maybe... at high speeds there are no problems... so it seems when certain parts of the drive trains are turning fast, the required slosh effect is still there to provide smooth transition from coasting to acceleration.Sticky solenoid inside transmission... causing pressure buildups to slow, causing the transmission to "grab" hard and with a slight delay... creating the thump? Dirty intake sensors... confusing the TCU with bad/incorrect readings, causing the delay + thump?

Any tips?

Currently I'm having a 3rd mechanic look at it to give me his opinion but would appreciate any feedback or any referrals to good Audi mechanics in the New York Metro area.

Of course you might be asking why not take it to Audi. Well its simple. Over the last 8 years I have taken it to almost every Audi Service dept./dealer in the New York City area for various non-related to the topic issues or just regular servicing and.........they are f#%@% idiots and fugazi- ALL OF THEM!!!

Personally I'm leaning towards a bad torque converter but we shall see.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

how did you fix the problem?