B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

1.9 TDi won't start warm - sometimes

Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
1st Gear
Default 1.9 TDi won't start warm - sometimes

Hi,

I have a couple of issues with my A4 1.9 tdi 130 (2003). I'm not sure if they're related, the non-start issue is my biggest concern, but I've described both issues below in case they could be related...

Firstly, I've had an on-going issue for a few weeks whereby, when accelerating hard, there is a subtle 'whoosh' noise - like flowing air - followed by a large black smoke cloud from the exhaust.

There's no excessive smoke when the car is revved hard on standstill, it only happens when moving. Torque seems ok-ish - maybe a subtle 'dragging' on acceleration is just noticeable. Also, there's lots of black gunk around the turbo actuator.

Secondly - not sure if this is related to the first issue but has just started happening this week - but when driving for a short distance say, 1 or 2 miles from a cold start, then leaving to stand for around 5 minutes, the car will not then re-start.

The starter motor turns the engine fine - I've got a new battery - but just when you'd expect to hear the engine fire-up, there's nothing.

I've subsequently replaced the fuel filter (not sure when this was last changed, could be many years ago) and added a new air filter. Still get the same problem occasionally.

Eventually, after ~30 starting attempts and leaving the car to stand for a few minutes, the engine starts and everything seems fine (apart from issue 1 above of course!!).

Any ideas where to look next please?

Thank you in advance,
Tony

Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM
3rd Gear

The whoosh air sounds like your turbo spooling honestly, and the black smoke is normal when you floor a diesel engine and s working hard. For the non start, you should let the car warm up, I'm assuming the car has in excess of 150k miles, the injectors and the glow plugs tend to need warming up before you run it that way, so try to let the car warm up and see if the problem persists.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

Excessive black smoke is unburnt diesel fuel (rich mixture). Older cars and trucks did it all the time, but these newer ones run lots cleaner. Look for the modual that controls your fuel on acceleration that might be the problem. Warm and not starting might be related to the flooding problem. Just a guess. Or the whoosh is an air leak hunt it down and verify what it is!!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
4th Gear

i would check the pancake valve near the rear of the block. If its cracked that will cause that woosh sound. . . Or a very large vaccum leak? Unless u have an aftermakert dv?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your replies - I'm going to go air leak hunting tomorrow.

I've acquired a VAG-COM reader and there's no engine codes.

There's a lot of black sticky grime around the valve which sits on top of the EGR - would strip-down and clean of the turbo help?

Regarding the fuel control module - where is this located?

thanks, Tony

Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

Leave the turbo. Find a bentleys manual to locate the fuel control devices on your car.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

This seller has three different wiring sets for VAGengines to warm enginestart problem elimination. It depend on what kind of engine coolant temperature sensor your carhas. All you need to do with these wiring kits is to just plug them in and thatis it.